We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do restaurants and shops in Honolulu charge credit card fee?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do restaurants and shops in Honolulu charge credit card fee?

Hi,

Travelling from Australia to Honolulu and Maui for the first time next month, we are not sure wether to buy a prepaid travel cash card or just use our existing credit card for purchases in stores and for meals etc. Does anyone know if restaurants, shops etc charge a fee for using credit card? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do restaurants and shops in Honolulu charge credit card fee?

No stores that I know of charge any extra fees; however, your card may impose a foreign transaction fee for charges made away from your own country.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do restaurants and shops in Honolulu charge credit card fee?

For every credit card purchase there is a foreign exchange transaction fee.

You see this on your invoice when you get home.

Amex don't have this charge, nor does 28degrees Mastercard,of which you can apply online for one. May take 10 + days to actually get it tho.

There may be a few others also.

Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do restaurants and shops in Honolulu charge credit card fee?

Hi, thank you for your help, I am aware of our bank fee's, i was just wondering if restaurants and shops in hawaii charge a further credit card surcharge when making purchases on credit, if they do we may be better off using cash for purchases. Have a nice day.

Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do restaurants and shops in Honolulu charge credit card fee?

Thank you for your help.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do restaurants and shops in Honolulu charge credit card fee?

It's specifically against the credit cards' terms of service to pass the fee on to the customer. They can legitimately include the fee in their prices and offer a discount for cash payment. Most don't do this, as far as I know.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do restaurants and shops in Honolulu charge credit card fee?

No restaurants/hotels do not, but I understand what you mean..have been caught with that way here in Australia...really annoying & becoming more common.

So unless you have a credit card free of surcharges of whatever you want to call it, I guess cash would be the way to go,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
889 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do restaurants and shops in Honolulu charge credit card fee?

I have a 28degree mastercard, and it is the best card I've ever had for travelling overseas. There are no bank charges, foreign conversion fees or the like, and you get the exchange rate of the day. You can also preload it with money and then withdraw from ATMs overseas, and no costs unless you withdraw more than you have deposited (unless the bank associated with the ATM has a charge). It's so easy to get - you just apply online. And there are places where you're charged extra for using a CC - Duty Free at Sydney airport for one, and all over Vanuatu for another. Maybe not in the USA, which is good.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do restaurants and shops in Honolulu charge credit card fee?

American Express is not accepted as widely as Visa, MasterCard, Discover Card. Merchants pay more to accept non-US cards (4.5% plus fees instead of 3.5% plus fees in my experience).

Dragonlady -- Are you describing a 'debit card'? If it's stolen, can't the thief empty your account?

Edited: 19 May 2012, 14:37
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
889 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do restaurants and shops in Honolulu charge credit card fee?

No, it's a CC but if you put money onto it, then you can withdraw that amount without incurring fees. How could a thief empty your account, without having your pin number?

10. Re: Do restaurants and shops in Honolulu charge credit card fee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:15