We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$20 upgrade tip with Honolulu hotels

San Francisco, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
$20 upgrade tip with Honolulu hotels

Has anyone ever tried the $20 tip trick that works in Vegas on Honolulu hotels? We no longer have status and read somewhere that people have tried this but it was dated information. Curious if anyone has tried this recently!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: $20 upgrade tip with Honolulu hotels

Aloha,

I dont think its a good idea, the person at the front desk could get fired.

Aloha

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $20 upgrade tip with Honolulu hotels

It will NOT work...diffferent environment. Most would consider it very insulting.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,165 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $20 upgrade tip with Honolulu hotels

Go ask on the Vegas forum if it works - you'll get the same answers as here...no trick or treat...just insulting as it's a bribe........$20.00 sure isn't worth someone's job.......

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 23 May 2012, 05:56
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $20 upgrade tip with Honolulu hotels

My son worked at a hotel front desk in LA, during college. There are camera's behind the check in desk on employees and arriving guests. Staff could get fired for taking a bribe, and usually rooms are assigned ahead of time.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $20 upgrade tip with Honolulu hotels

Best tip, book what you want and if you get a free upgrade be grateful.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $20 upgrade tip with Honolulu hotels

las vegas hotels are huge and they assign rooms when you arrive, hawaii usually preassign rooms. A better idea would be to send a note to the manager a week ahead. Tell him how much you love his hotel and you are a return guest

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $20 upgrade tip with Honolulu hotels

I have found the best chance for an upgrade is when I am travelling alone on business, and it really doesn't matter. You should see what I had at the Hilton at Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris. If my wife is with me, I just hope to do better than smoking, handicapped double double. Life is all about hitting the curve balls and inside sliders.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,993 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $20 upgrade tip with Honolulu hotels

It would be a huge insult in Hawaii.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $20 upgrade tip with Honolulu hotels

RockyTop, I agree -- mine is also tied directly to the amount of time and number of nights I will be spending in the room ... had an amazing suite at the omni parker house in boston -- checked in at midnight, out at 8 a.m. Whenever I end up somewhere for a week, it's generally the standard room all the way :) ... oh well! Such is life :) Any room in Hawaii (or ALMOST any room) would make me happy!

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $20 upgrade tip with Honolulu hotels

At least in vegas, they will hold suites till late night in case they get some vip players, so if you show up late you have a better chance at a suite upgrade, of course you also have a bettter chance of the room with the handicap shower and the roof view.