We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl Harbor 8 A.M. What time to leave Waikiki?

alabama
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Pearl Harbor 8 A.M. What time to leave Waikiki?

We have an 8 A.M. tour scheduled for Pearl Harbor. I am worried about traffic. What time should we leave the hotel in Waikiki to avoid traffic?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearl Harbor 8 A.M. What time to leave Waikiki?

The bulk of the heavy traffic will be going in the opposite direction. It takes a bit less than an half an hour to get from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor. I would leave by 7:00-7:15am to get there, park and pick up tickets.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearl Harbor 8 A.M. What time to leave Waikiki?

You have to pick up the tickets one hour in advance, so leave by 6:30 to make sure you get your tickets. Assuming you are driving, right?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,823 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearl Harbor 8 A.M. What time to leave Waikiki?

We stayed at the HHV and got on the H1 one morning heading to Ko Olina (same direction as PH). The traffic was not bad but we got several conflicting opinions of the best way to get to the H1 from the hotel, and we chose poorly :( It took us much, much longer than we expected just to get on the stupid freeway. Maybe someone here will give you the shortest route, but I would allow plenty of time.

alberta
Level Contributor
229 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearl Harbor 8 A.M. What time to leave Waikiki?

We had an 8:00 reservation for the Arizona tour about a month ago. You are told to pick up tickets no later than one hour prior to the tour. We stayed at the Ilikai in Waikiki. We left the Ilikai at 6:00 a.m. We did not have to rush, and had time to stop at Starbucks and pick up coffee and a snack along the way. We arrived at PH about 6:45. By the time we parked and picked up our tickets it was a little before 7:00. So, we probably would have been fine leaving Waikiki at 6:15 or so.

Our tour, however, was on a Saturday, so I suspect traffic would be heavier if your tour is on a weekday. The rush hour traffic in Honolulu was not fun... I would not risk leaving any later than 6:00 a.m. on weekday. And, the further east you are on Waikiki, the earlier I would leave.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearl Harbor 8 A.M. What time to leave Waikiki?

Very informative reponses Thanks.

i am planning on reserving tickets for Arizona and wanted a timeslot around 10am. i would be taking the bus there from Waikiki but was wondering if traffic would be better during a weekday or Sunday.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pearl Harbor 8 A.M. What time to leave Waikiki?

We left Waikiki at 6 am and stopped for Coffee, gas and malasadas and arrived at 645 on a Monday last month. The doors opened 15 minutes late at 715 to pick up out tickets for the 8 am tour. Didn't really have enough time to do any of the museums prior to the memorial so we needed up doing them when we got back.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pearl Harbor 8 A.M. What time to leave Waikiki?

Like I said, the bulk of the early morning traffic will be going the other way. There is no reason why you wouldn't be able to make it to Pearl Harbor in 30 minutes.

Traffic will be lighter in a Sunday but not as much as one would think. The buses run on a more limited schedule on Sunday's.

8. Re: Pearl Harbor 8 A.M. What time to leave Waikiki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 09:40