We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Economy Plus

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
United Economy Plus

My wife and I are flying nonstop from washington dc to honolulu next month. I was wondering if anyone knew the upgrade cost to economy plus on this flight? Any help would be great!\

Thanks

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Economy Plus

If you go into your reservation on United you can click to change seats, it will then tell you if there are any free economy plus seats available, where they are and how much.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Economy Plus

That is the best option. You can look at selecting them and if they aren't in your budget you can opt out.

Forest Park...
Level Contributor
352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Economy Plus

From Chicago they charged me $99 each way.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1,210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Economy Plus

$99 is a good ball park. Caution...we use these seats frequently and for some unknown reason..the seats selected are sometimes switched by the airlines..to less desirable seats...sometimes to non-economy plus seats. We were required to show written verification of payment of the extra money to restore economy plus seats. By then our selected seats were no longer available and we had to settle for less desirable seats. Watch this.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Economy Plus

If you are a large person, it is definitely worth it...especially on the flight home if you want to try to sleep

ohio
Level Contributor
434 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Economy Plus

Economy Plus seating is very similar to Economy Comfort and all of the "new" seating options you can now pay for on many of the airlines. Back in the day, these seats used to be free as they are just part of the regular coach cabin. These are generally your exit rows, front of the plane, bulkhead and more desirable seats that tend to have a better location and/or extra legroom. To increase revenue the airlines have started charging for these seats unless you rank pretty high in their frequent flyer programs. They can range from 99-149 each way depending on the route and aircraft. Generally, if you pay extra for these seats, you will get them, however, the airlines can and do hide behind their "right" to switch seats at ANY time. After all they can change aircraft on routes which if it's a different aircraft, the seating configuration will change, and this will screw up your "confirmed" seat. I am a corporate travel agent and book these quite frequently for my non-frequent flyer travelers. Also, some of the airlines do not refund this fee if you change flights on your own or cancel your reservations. My best advice if you are not a frequent flyer and you don't want to pay this fee is to book your flight as far in advance as possible and ask the airline for the seat you prefer at that time. Keep in mind that they block 3/4 of the seats so that they can sell them or give them to their frequent flyers. Generally, the airlines will open up their seat map EXACTLY 24 hours prior to your flight departure and if the flight is not full you may be able to get a better seat. On some airlines this even means exit row. (Delta still charges for exit row) Also, go to seatguru.com and plug in your flight number and airline and check out the aircraft configuration. You will find that it will tell you which seats recline, which seats don't, which seats don't allow you to put carry ons under your seat for take off and landing and so forth....It's a great site and I use it when I travel all the time. I guess it just comes down to if you want to shell out the extra money or not. If you have a medical condition that requires special seating, tell the airline about it ahead of time so they can note it in your reservation and it's possible they will get you bulkhead seating or at very minimum an aisle seat. You may need to carry documentation from your physician.

Edited: 13 July 2012, 02:09
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Economy Plus

Awfully long comment for a month old post where the OP may have already traveled

Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
790 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Economy Plus

johnfjohnston has it oh so right. The seats are more than worth it but... With the merger with Continental their computer system is majorly wrong. If there is a flight change they will just assign seats without any consideration to economy plus. I've had it happen now twice where lost the economy plus. One time they made me pay again promising a non-existent refund and the other they just changed the seats. Unfortunately neither considered the original assignments and I lost out. With both I had to call and talk to someone. Their online system is oblivious. Watch them closely

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Economy Plus

I will tell you that I will never fly United Airlines again after our recent experience flying to Costa Rica a few weeks ago. I will pay extra money to fly on another airline.

You will be looking at several hundred dollars to do this. We flew from Kansas City (MCI) and changed planes in Portland prior to flying to Honolulu. It cost $250 for each upgrade on American to fly from Portland to Honolulu. I must say that money was well spent! I am so glad we got the upgrade and will probably do so again on our next trip. I am tall and have a knee replacement so I have a tendancy to get uncomfortable in tight quarters. We didn't get the upgrade flying back and it was awful!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Economy Plus

<<If there is a flight change they will just assign seats without any consideration to economy plus.>>

That has not been my experience-I have an annual memebership-every time they change the flight, they assign me to new E+ seats. I check it frequently, if I don't like the seats I just change it. The bottom line for me, E+ is definitely worth it.