We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day Trip Summary 21-31May

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
10 day Trip Summary 21-31May

We have been to Hawaii quite a few times & this trip was purely to relax & recuperate, so only had 3 things planned.

Flew out Starclass with Jetstar row 1. We have been spoilt by Business class with various airlines over the years & I don't mean to sound snobbish, but if we can't do Business class internationally we just would not go.

Admittedly most of our flights have been with points, so in that aspect we are very fortunate.

We have never had any real issues flying Jetstar..........you just have to remember they are a low cost carrier.......anyway enough of that, on to much more pleasant details.

Arrived on time early morning & Mark from Hawaii 23 was waiting for us. Travelled with him last year so knew he doesn't have a marked van or anything to distinguish him. I remember him from his web site photo.

We don't carry a phone but no issues locating him.

Arrived to Waikiki Shore about 8.45am, & met by rep from Captain Cook resorts & up to our condo 1010.

Exactly as described on their web site. Took in the magnificent view, unpacked & showered & off walking to Food Pantry for cheese, crackers, beer & wine & I had to settle for some pink vodka mix as couldn't find the Mojito mix from last year.

Yardhouse for dinner...Rib eye, mash & green beans for John & I had something like a Thai noodle salad with Cajun Chicken ( delicious). Beer for John...after trying out several thru our stay he settled on Bud Light ( I thing harleynut made that suggestion) I had a mojito & then wine. $70 plus tip.

MAY22. Tea & coffee on the lanai, then Wailana Coffee House. Usually we go to the Oceanhouse at Outrigger OTR, but they were still renovating.

Bacon (double order) & eggs, toast orange juice & tea for John ( he has this every single day while away!) I have pancakes & coconut syrup ( very good)

Wailana then became John's favourite place for breakfast ( I think bacause they serve it ALL day! )

Caught Bus to Ala Moana & went to Walmart, left John looking at hardware stuff & did the same with him in Sears, while I did shopping elsewhere.

Dinner at Hula grill ( did a review) it was OK. $104 plus tip.

MAY 23 Highlight of the trip was Home of the Brave Tour from 6am to 2.15pm.

Excellent & so informative ( have yet to write a review)

I recommend this highly.

Eat in tonite...salad & wine on the lanai.

MAY 24 Wailana CH again for breakfast......same old for John but I have stuffed french toast & I am so stuffed I can't finish it.

Drop John off at Barnes & Noble while I shop.

Back to condo for drinks, cheese & crackers & a snooze then Dukes for dinner. Sirloin for John & I have the salad bar plus drinks. $102 plus tip.

Stop at the Apple store where I buy an ipad. John says we were there for 3 hours! ( the reality is it was more like 2)

Excellent service from the staff. Their multi tasking skills, patience & courtesy were to be admired.

MAY 25. Usual tea & coffee on the lanai & then off to Iolani Palace for our guided tour. Very interesting. Walked aroung some of the surrounding area then back to Wailana CH at 2pm for breakfast! & I have a Reuben sandwich which was pretty good ( haven't had anything to compare it too for many years )

Have to say their salad bar looked pretty good too.

Service there was always efficient & courteous.

Take away from the Steak Shack under the Waikiki Shore just before they were closing. Chicken ( delicious, tender) salad & rice..very generous servings.

Catch the fireworks from HHV.

MAY 26. Down walking on the beach early (few sprinkles)

Into the Army Museum next door. John has taken a big interest in the Congressional Medal of Honor & who it has been awarded to ( he has been trying to find a book on their stories)

Happy Hour at Kani Ka Pila Grill. They make the best Mojitos. Salad & Cheeseburger for John, plus wine & beer. $71 plus tip. Excellent friendly service

MAY 27. You guessed it Wailana CH...B&E for John & I have an omelette.

Bus to Ward Center where I "parked" John & went to Famous Footwear & the new TJ Maxx.

Dinner at Yardhouse....Spinach/Cheese Dip, Salad, Rib eye & drinks

for $91 plus tip.

MAY 28. Walk along the ocean side right up to the Natatorium/War memorial (how sad to see the state it is in) Memorial day week end so LOTS of people out in the park setting up for the day.

Breakfast at Queens Beach ( little outside beach concession that does BBQ. Nice little place.

Dinner in or should I say out on the lanai.

MAY 29. Wailana again.. I have Eggs Benedict ( pretty good ) & then Bus to Kailua. Bit of a walk to the beach where we are in awe of the kite surfers. It is real windy & I couldn't believe one slight young girl didn't get lifted off into the air by her kite just on the beach, prior to getting in the water & on her board. They are something else, spent a long time watching & taking pictures.

Sand was a fine as icing sugar.

Wine & steak fries at Buzz's & then the Bus back.

Shorebird for dinner. Rib eye & baked potato for John & salad bar for

me plus drinks. $96 plus tip. Have to say the Kabobs looked pretty good.

MAY 30. Shopping for presents & stop at Princess Kailulani. I stayed here back in the early 80's & used to drink Scorpions & Sundowners, but Herbie the bartender isn't on to make them, so settle for wine & Nachos. One of the servers is still working bar service after 37 years.

MAY 31. One of Mark's colleagues picks us up & off to the airport for flight home.

Some mentionables:

The American people are so patriotic & speak so well in their remembrances for Memorial Day. You are to be commended for the fact.

Car drivers are so forgiving & polite to pedestrians.

Service/hospitality staff do a great job. They provide a quality service & deserve their tips. Our people could take a leaf out of their book.

One funny little item at the Yardhouse...John ordered a beer & I ordered a bottle of wine with 2 glasses (for when John finished his beer ) Well our server said he could give us one glass & the second only when John had finished his beer. Never came across that before.

I did not notice any provision for recycling, shame about that.

We love Hawaii, hard to expalian, so much to do or just do nothing.

I initially thought this would be our last trip there, but we are already talking about going back next year..same time,same place.

Thanks to everyone here for their comments & advice.

Aloha to you all.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day Trip Summary 21-31May

Thank you for taking the time to do this TR!

One question - what did you like/dislike about staying at the Waikiki Shore?

Mahalo~~~~

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day Trip Summary 21-31May

AlandRoberta

Likes: The fact that booking thru Captain Cook Resorts we were able to choose the exact condo we would be staying in. The pictures on the website were precisely what we booked.

We also wanted to be on the ocean/beach with great views.

Washer/dryer, kitchen facilities to have the choice to eat in.

Huge lanai.

Dislikes: A little noisy from street traffic.

Bed mattress a little soft,saggy in the middle & the bed linen. Fitted sheets that just did not "fit". I think they were hotel type sheets, but not good quality.

I kind of also missed NOT having an i pod docking station so I could play my music.

But none of the dislikes would stop us from staying in 1010 again.

Edited: 05 June 2012, 03:36
Dallas
Level Contributor
21,790 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day Trip Summary 21-31May

Great report and thanks for taking the time. We are same way and just left there too. Never get tired of doing something or doing nothing.

We meet so many nice people over there and many are from Australia and New Zealand. We just try to never meet up with them all at the same time...LOL

We seem to love lots of your same places. Will have to look at your breakfast place although my wife is not a big breakfast eater. Shes an ABC yogurt and muffin kind of gal.

So thanks again for your report and glad you had a great time.

Aloha

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day Trip Summary 21-31May

"We love Hawaii, hard to explain, so much to do or just do nothing"

I could not have said it better! I just loved your trip report. We work really hard at home and appreciate Hawaii for the ability to stay busy or just play/lay on a beach.

You ate at Wailana's almost as much as we did last fall. We would think we were going to go somewhere else and then we would look at each other and say, "Wailana's!". Wish I was sitting in a booth now eating their breakfast...thanks for bringing me back. :-) Deb

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day Trip Summary 21-31May

I so enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for taking the time to write it for us.

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 day Trip Summary 21-31May

Thankyou so much for your amazing report, I have taken alot of the information and popped it in my things to do in October, we are there 14 days I'm now thinking 40 would have been better lol.

Thanks again it was an awesome read :)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 day Trip Summary 21-31May

Great trip report, thanks for posting. Sounds like a lovely trip. Cheers

Indy
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 day Trip Summary 21-31May

The Home of the Brave Tour sounds cool as my dad is retired Navy. But it looks like you only see the Arizona at PH. For a first and only trip for him, would you recommend this or visiting just PH on our own? Thanks. great ideas.

Trish

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 day Trip Summary 21-31May

Thanks rangerjohn for your report. Glad to see you had a great time...but how can you not in Hawaii right?

I see that you really liked dining at Wailana Coffee House. That is on my list of must visits.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 day Trip Summary 21-31May

A very nice "easy" to read report. (short paragraphs). {::}/\]