We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food nearby!

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Food nearby!

Hi,

My partner and I are travelling in August for 8 nights and I wondered what types of food is generally served or if it's different types, I know we're in a great location staying at The Hyatt Regency.

We like all kinds of food, but I wondered whether they do things like ribs/pulled pork or is it more asian themed?

Any help would be great thanks.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,947 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food nearby!

There are over 200 restaurants in Waikiki. So you will be able to find any cuisine you want.

Top Questions, right side of the page, click on Cheap Eats on Oahu & Amberloo and Food. Lots of ideas.

Also click on the Websites for Honolulu and Oahu Top Question. There is a restaurant section in the link.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food nearby!

If you want ribs and pulled pork you will find numerous opportunities at Waikiki for your taste.

The restaurants are as varried as the wonderful guests who come to the island.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food nearby!

Us Aussies have a favourite restaurant in Waikiki called the Cheesecake Factory. It's on the same street as the Hyatt, just next to the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Centre.

Americans can't understand why we love it, but we don't have them here.

The tip is to go for a late lunch or early dinner, because the queues (90% are Aussies) are quite long at the busy times. Their menu is massive, the serves are huge and the food is great. Of course the Cheesecakes are to die for, so if you can't fit one in, take one back to your hotel room for supper.

There are over 200 items on the website ... so have a look before you go.

I do recommend you share a meal tho ..

www.thecheesecakefactory.com

If you like fish/seafood, try the Red Lobster Restaurant too. We don't have them in Australia either. They are located on Ala Moana Blvd, on the corner of Hobron Lane... between the Hilton Hawaiian Village Hotel and the Ala Moana Mall. The Bus goes right past it.

We shared a Lobster pizza before our main course ... and they give you delicious cheesy warm rolls with your meal.

I enjoy trying the restaurants that we don't have at home.... so I hope you find something to your liking too. I'm sure you will, there's heaps of places.

On the beach, try Dukes or Shorebird ... very popular with views of Waikiki Beach.

Have fun ....

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food nearby!

eating is what we do best in waikiki

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food nearby!

Eaglemaniac- We're travelling around other places in America before Hawaii and have Cheesecake factory already on the list! We like to try food that we also don't have at home in England, so will also bear in mind the others that you mentioned!

I'm getting very excited for Hawaii though- can't wait! We really want to try pulled pork so great to know they do it well!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food nearby!

You'll love Hawaii ... I love all the US states, but as I've seen most (except 6), Hawaii is my favorite and it's quicker for us to get to.

The shopping is amazing .. even tho it may be a dollar more than the mainland, its still way, way cheaper to shop and eat there for us.

You will just love it ... I hope you are counting the sleeps!

Check this website.

www.spotlighthawaii.com

It's an online version of free booklets available on the sidewalks around Waikiki.

Just click on the island you want, and then click on the corner and the pages will flip over.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
987 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food nearby!

A tip I use , I usually make reservations at dukes for our first night in Waikiki. The view is amazing . Calling from Australia it's the same cost as a local call on my mobile (cell phone). You can book the time you want. If not there can be a big wait for a table.

John

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food nearby!

That's a great link thank you! Will have a good look through that, we're definitely looking to do some excursions so that looks perfect to give us ideas. I've heard the shopping is good, will work out a lot cheaper than home!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,874 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food nearby!

Every region of the US will have different foods it is known for, BBQ, ribs and pulled pork you associate with the South, spots like Texas, the Carolinas, Tennessee and the likes, the Pacific Northwest for its fresh seafood, the Southwest for Mexican inspired and so on.

But, in almost any part of the country you can get dishes from other part of the country. You can find BBQ in Oregon, even if it isn't quite as good as the South, you can find Mexican in New York, even if it isn't as quite as good as Texas or California, and so on.

Point being, yes you can find pulled pork and ribs which a lot of foreign visitors think of as "American food", but it won't the best BBQ in the country. Hawaii is a blending of many cultures and it is reflected in the food and you won't find that food at mediocre American chain restaurants.

Maybe there isn't a Cheesecake Factory or Red Lobster in Oz and the UK (be thankful you DON'T have Red Lobsters), but neither is there Cafe Miro, Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar, 3660 On the Rise and Town,12th Ave Grill, the St. Louis Delicatessen, Duc's Bistro, Indigo, Epic, Helena's Hawaiian Food, Ono Hawaiian Food, Rainbow Drive-in, Yama's Fish Market, Sugoi, Libby Manapua Shop, Char Hung Sut Restaurant, Palace Saimin Stand, Shiro’s Saimin Haven, Alan Wong's, Orchids. Michel's, Hau Tree Lanai, Chef Mavro or dozens of other great, local restaurants that are doing great things with food from the low end to the high end. Each of the spots above does something unique, special and local that you won't find done as well in any other part of the country.

That a tourist would visit the US and spend their days eating in the likes of Cheesecake Factory, Red Lobster, Outback etc is just painful because they are missing so much when they do. I get why locals support those kinds of places, you don't want to eat Mexican every night in the Southwest or BBQ every night in the South, etc, but when I travel I seek out local spots, some on the high end, but also the "joints", the pubs, the diners, the izakaya or nabemono spots that just serve good, down home food.

Do yourself a favor and read the "Amberloo and food" thread in the Top Questions section and get out to those restaurants and experience the uniqueness of Hawaii not what a company based in Orlando or Beverly Hills is pushing.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,336 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food nearby!

All kinds of food. Do be sure to seek out some real local Hawaiian food. Also there's plenty of asian influences - noodles, pho, sushi, Thai, etc. But also you can find Mexican or Italian.

Some of my favorite meals are at the various "Food Courts" (Ala Moana, IMP, Royal Hawaiian shopping center) because the food is cheap, fresh, and you can see exactly what you're ordering in advance.

I'm not a fan of chain restaurants like Cheesecake Factory etc. so have never tried them in Waikiki when there's so much more exciting other places.

suze