We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping like a local

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
adelaide, australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping like a local

Where do the locals do their clothes shopping in Oahu?? Recently we stayed in Hawaii on a stopover, whilst Waikiki was wonderful, the shopping seemed to consist of ABC stores and designer shops (which are out of our budget). I hoped to go to a centre where the locals do their clothes shopping as I had hoped their may be a better selection of plus size clothing in an American state. We went to Ala Moana shopping centre on our search, only to be confronted with more Chanel, Hermes, Coach etc..............where are the normal shops?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping like a local

Try WalMart. Your comment that the US would have more plus size clothing made me laugh. Not that it's not true, we have a serious obesity problem in this country.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping like a local

Take a look at the "Top Question about Honolulu" section on the right. Towards the bottom of that section has a "Shopping for Aussies" link which should be useful to you.

TJ Maxx just opened in Honolulu, so that is likely not listed in the link, but is worth checking out.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping like a local

Walmart is very popular, so is Ross Dress for Less ....

There's a Walmart beind the Ala Moana Shopping Centre, and a large Ross' on Ward Avenue, just up from Ala Moana Blvd, behind the Ward Centre.

www.rossstores.com

There's also the outlets at Waikele, and I believe a K-Mart opposite the outlets which has bargains.

Also if you take your passport to Macys information desk, they will give you a 10% discount at any Macys store .. the card will last a month.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping like a local

There is a new TJ Maxx near Ward Center. Ross, Target, Walmart and perhaps Pearl Ridge Mall might be more what you are looking for There is a Ross at Pearl Ridge. Macy's, Sears,, etc might also have what you are looking for.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping like a local

Aloha from Kaua'i!

When many people from Kaua'i go to O'ahu and want to do clothes shopping - most head to Ross's, Target or the new TJ Maxx - I just spoke to a friend who was over there for a week and she hit all of these!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping like a local

The locals shop at the deep discount stores. Ross, TJMaxx (new), Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target and Sears (in Ala Moana). Also Macy's when things are on sale. I also go to the International Market Place to buy sundresses I wear around the house.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping like a local

Macy's (with coupons).

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,587 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping like a local

Macy's is a good spot for Aussies. Bring your passport as I believe it will earn you an additional 10% discount.

TJMaxx, Target, and Ross are where I shop here in LA, too.

9. Re: Shopping like a local

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 23:17