We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to Honolulu

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
First timer to Honolulu

Hi

We are three Aussie's heading for a girls holiday to Honolulu mid August for 11 days.

Would love to get some advice on:

- Best places to shop

- Recommendations on where to eat

- Is it easy enough to drive around (thinking about hiring a convertible for the day)

- What is the better luau??

And anything else you may want to add.

Many thanks :)

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to Honolulu

I love the Ala Moana mall as it has such good variety. My daughter makes it a required stop on all visits. We were there last Tuesday and had a good time.

If you are there before they go out of business stop at Betsy Johnson as the sale on dresses was amazing and will get even better.

There are so many great restaurants that I suggest reading the restaurant reviews here on TA as well as yelp, google and others.

A car is a good idea. I always have challenges driving on the other side of the road in your country, so be prepared.

Have a fantastic trip!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to Honolulu

To the upper right on the page under "Top Questions" is a post just for you..."Shopping for Aussies"! Also read through "cheap eats" and "Amberloo and food".

There are also great hints about driving routes etc.

Rent that convertible and see the island.

Edited: 17 June 2012, 14:43
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to Honolulu

Hi there...I'm an Aussie going to Waikiki too but in October. There are so many places to stay, where and how'd you guys decide where to go??

Lisa

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,993 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to Honolulu

Despite what every dang person on the continent of Australia tells you, do NOT go to the incredibly mediocre corporate chain restaurant The Cheesecake Factory, DO read "Amberloo and Food" for great places to go.

For shopping you have the Premium Outlets at Waikele, The Rack by Nordstrom, Walmart, Target, Ross Dress for Less, the International Marketplace and Ala Moana Mall.

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer to Honolulu

Hi Lisa

I looked at a few hotels but we wanted to be right on the beach and I've had quite a few friends go to Honolulu and recommend The Outrigger Waikiki on The Beach so I've booked us in there. The hotel is currently undergoing renovations and it is looking really good so I can't wait to get there and see it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
632 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer to Honolulu

Hi Barina,

I stayed at the same hotel, a few years ago, before the renovation. It was a very nice hotel and the location was the best. Right on the beach and close to everything. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your choice.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer to Honolulu

How do people decide where to stay in Waikiki?

Budget is the biggest factor. People with enough to spend usually opt for a property right on Waikiki Beach. That narrows your choices down to a handful (Moana Surfrider, Outrigger Reef on the Beach, Royal Hawaiian, Sheraton Waikiki, Halekulani, Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, Hilton Hawaiian Village).

People with a little less to spend start looking for four-stars close to the beach: Hyatt Regency, Marriott, Hilton Waikiki, Waikiki Parc.

People with families or who like the convenience of having a full kitchen look at condos, which are often better priced than hotels.

Then the tight-budget travelers have their own range of properties to choose from, too.

It basically starts with: what's your budget and do you need a kitchen? From there, you start narrowing it down based on personal tastes, specific locations, pools and available deals.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer to Honolulu

Last year we stayed in the princess kiulani, just off the main rd, really nice place, ala moana mall is massive!!! Also did a tour , excellent place, friendly people, looking forward to returning real soon,

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
16 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer to Honolulu

Hi Barina,

Happy to hear you will get the chance to visit our beautiful islands. Here are a few recommendations.

As many other people have mentioned, Ala Moana and the Waikele outlets are great places to shop, but I would also highly recommend walking around Kalakaua Ave right there in Waikiki for high-end and premium designer shopping. If you are interested in cheap nick-nacks as gifts, then also check out the International Market in Waikiki and the Swap Meet at the stadium. You never know, you may find something you really like!

For dinning, check out Yard House near Fort DeRussy in Waikiki, they have 100 beers on tap and incredible food! It's one of my favorites. But what you have to have is the breakfast buffet at the Moana Surfrider right on Waikiki. It's $30 a person ($20 for vegetarian) and is a cant miss. You do not have to be a guest at the hotel. For fare made with all local ingredients, head to the Pineapple Room at Macy's Ala Moana.

When considering Luau's, you'll also have to consider whether you want to consume alcohol. The best luau in my opinion is at the Polynesian Cultural Center, but no alcohol is served. A very close second is Germaine's Luau at Paradise Cove, and I think they have an open bar for the cost of entry.

Either way, have fun!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer to Honolulu

Outrigger Waikiki is outstanding. We have been there 5 times and will be there in Nov. We love the Cheesecake Factory. Great Cheesecake and the meals are huge. You really can share. The shopping is unbelievable so shop till you drop. This year we will be there for Black Friday which is like our Boxing day sales. Bring on Waikiki. Cannot wait.