We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So confused. Condo at HHV or Embassy Suites?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
So confused. Condo at HHV or Embassy Suites?

We're a family of four (kids aged 14 & 15). We're spending 8 nights in Honolulu and then off to Maui for one week. I have to firm up my reservation today and can't decide between the HGVC Lagoon Tower, the Grand Waikikian HHV, or the Embassy Suites. We leave in 30 days!

I had my heart set on a beachfront hotel and I am super picky about my accommodations.

My son loves the ocean and I think he would enjoy the HHV grounds. I like the location of the HGVC Lagoon Condo, but I am very

concerned about the age and condition of the room. Th other drawback is that the unit only has a king and a sofa bed. The Grand Waikkiian condos look amazing, but the building sems to be somewhat "removed" or set back from the HHV, and will cost a full $1,000 more than the Embassy Suites. The Embassy Suites has great reviews, and breakfast included. But I don't like roof top pools, the fact that we have to walk to the beach, and I believe it's more of a "city" hotel.

My husband is fine with any of the three. I'm undecided. Help?

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,635 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So confused. Condo at HHV or Embassy Suites?

Well, there are lots of other options than just these two hotels. Hotels with pools really on the beach are the Royal Hawaiian, Outrigger Waikiki and Westin Moana.

Have you looked at any of them. They are more centrally located than the HHV or ES and located directly on the beach with pools directly on the beach, although the pools are small.

Is there a reason that you are feeling compelled to stay at HHV or ES?

Edited: 17 June 2012, 18:24
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So confused. Condo at HHV or Embassy Suites?

Hi, placebets. Thanks for responding.

I did look into these hotels, as well, but since our kids are older now, we usually find that condo units are a better fit for us because of the extra space, and the privacy issue. I realize that HHV is away from the main area of Waikiki, but I think that my son & daughter would enjoy the proximity to the ocean and the number of pools available. I don't mind not being in the heart of the city. I'm considering ES because we have friends who highly recommend it, and it does offer two rooms and breakfast.

Now if my husband and I were traveling alone, I'd be looking at different properties, for sure!

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,635 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So confused. Condo at HHV or Embassy Suites?

O.K. I understand all that and you have to choose. We travelled for many years to Waikiki with our kids (2 girls) and stayed in the Outrigger Waikiki and the Royal Hawaiian. They loved being in the center of Waikiki and the room space and privacy was never an issue. They travelled with us up to the time they were 17 and 19 years old.

But, maybe you should look at a condo at the Waikiki Shores which is next to the Outrigger on the Reef. It has no pool but is located directly on the beach. Depending on how you book it, you can have use of the Outrigger Reef pool. Unfortunately that pool does not have a view of the water either, but you can get a condo with a great view of the water.

Anyway, I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you book.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So confused. Condo at HHV or Embassy Suites?

Waikiki isn't a city, it's a district within the city of Honolulu. How important are the pools? The Embassy Suites are just a short walk to the beach, basically across the street. Very close to a wonderful beachside park, Fort DeRussy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So confused. Condo at HHV or Embassy Suites?

Thanks for your replies. Pools are definitely a consideration for the kids, and we enjoy the "resort" type amenities that HHV has to offer. But the $1,000 difference is significant.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,941 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So confused. Condo at HHV or Embassy Suites?

The kids might not like the annoying younger kids at the pools at the HHV.

You seem to understand well the shortcomings of each of the three choice.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to choose the Grand Waikikian. The new units are great, I like that they have a washer/dryer in the unit, but $1,000 extra would go a loooong way to some great meals in Honolulu & Maui.

Pick between ES and the Lagoon.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So confused. Condo at HHV or Embassy Suites?

Your emphasis on beach location and pools tells me you'd be much happier at HGVC.

HHV sits on the widest swath of Waikiki Beach and has great pools. Embassy Suites is great for people who want access to Waikiki's "city-ness," if you will. But the part of the beach it's nearest isn't great, and you have to schlep a bit to get to the nice wide swath.

Also: Is it a known fact that Embassy Suites rooms are necessarily better than HGVC? That's news to me. I was my understanding that HGVC accommodations were more highly rated.

Re which HGVC tower: I would not choose based on the tower's location on the HHV grounds. Every building there has its own unique locational advantages and disadvantages -- closer to this, farther from that. But, in the end, all the HHV buildings put you close enough to beach, pools, Waikiki, shopping and dining. I would pick one of the HGVC properties based only on quality of accomodations and price, but not location.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So confused. Condo at HHV or Embassy Suites?

Beacheeme, thanks for the info about the beach area closest to the ES, as my husband was just asking me the same question.

I guess we will focus on either the Grand Waikikian or the Lagoon Tower condos. Gosh, this trip is costing us a fortune!

And thank you to those who replied!

Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So confused. Condo at HHV or Embassy Suites?

Gosh I hear ya on the cost, we're trying to decide on a trip to HI or a 7 day cruise out of PR! at least the cruise is all inclusive minus adult beverages.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,362 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So confused. Condo at HHV or Embassy Suites?

Hi cma4,

I just wanted to toss in the suggestion that some of your sticker shock is self-imposed - in the sense of desiring beach front and only looking at the higher end properties. All of Hawaii's beaches are public, and great views are e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e.

You could get a very nice one or even two bedroom condo within 2-3 blocks of the beach, with free parking, and save a ton of money to spend on other things. - Like a rental car to explore the whole of Oahu.

Your vacation, your dollars, of course. But something to consider.....

Either way, have a great time!!