We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to allow for Pearl Harbor during island hop???

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How much time to allow for Pearl Harbor during island hop???

Sorry if this has been covered before, but we will be making a stop in HNL to visit the Arizona Memorial, Bowfin and USS Missouri while changing islands. How much time should we realistically allow to get from the airport to the sites, visit the sites without being too rushed and get back to the airport in time to go through TSA to catch our next flight??

The plan is to check our main luggage all the way through, grab a cab, store our carryons at the secured area at the Visitors Center and cab it back.......does that make the most sense??

We will be there on December 27.

Thanks!

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to allow for Pearl Harbor during island hop???

Everyone will have a variety of comments. I suggest renting a car, driving there and then dropping the car off again at the airport.

I suggest 6 or 7 hours as your mainland flight can be delayed for a variety of reasons. If you plan this much time you will have no problems or issues.

If you are purchasing interisland flights separately consider a ticket that allows you to go stand-by on an earlier flight. I buy the flexible tickets as I have more flexibility when I want to change vacation plans.

When you check in for your flight show them your connecting flight and they will gladly check your bag to your final destination.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,857 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to allow for Pearl Harbor during island hop???

What time are you arriving in Honolulu? Will you buy tickets in advance? Over the Christmas/New Year's holidays is some of the busiest times of the year. It would be a shame to plan around going to Pearl Harbor and then get there at 11AM and find out it is packed or sold out.

To see the Visitors Center, USS Arizona Memorial (not Arizona Memorial, it is not a memorial to a state), USS Bowfin and USS Missouri is a pretty full day. You can spend hours on Mighty Mo alone.

Are you coming from the mainland (ORD?) directly and then flying on to a neighbor island or are you getting ready to fly home?

If you are coming in from the mainland, I might consider an overnight stay on Oahu to take your time with no pressure and decompress a bit. If you are coming from say Maui and heading home later that day, I'd get into HNL as early as possible and leave from HNL as late as possible. ou might be able to squeeze in a Waikiki meal.

Lakelady2451
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to allow for Pearl Harbor during island hop???

Just to give you an idea.. We got there around 7 30 or so with an 8 o'clock movie showing. We left the area at 3:30 after seeing the Mighty Mo (skipped the Bowfin) . We were both really into all the great exhibits. Did one of the tours on the Mighty Mo and then went through by ourselves. The tours are short ... about 30 min and excellent, but dont' cover the whole ship.

We didn't get a reservation, but it was in May and we arrived very early. For Dec, you def want to get one.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time to allow for Pearl Harbor during island hop???

Thanks for the responses thus far......

We are a party of 8 ranging from 9 to 82 years old. Flying in from Kona and continueing to Lihue later in the day. The standby option for earlier planes won't work since we have a large party, so we will be "stuck" with whatever we choose. (Haven't booked the interisland flights yet).

I will be reserving tickets next week when they first become available.

Epicurean....curious as to why you suggest renting a car vs. cabbing it? I was thinking it would save time to just cab it, but maybe I am missing something??

The two sets of flights I am looking at are: Option #1 arrive in HNL at 8:30 depart HNL at 3 PM or option #2 arrive HNL 9:30 depart at 4:30.

So do you all think we could see quite a bit in 6 1/2 or 7 hours (which would include time to get from and to airport) or should I allow more time??

Thanks!

5. Re: How much time to allow for Pearl Harbor during island hop???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 05:40