We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter clothes

sydney
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
winter clothes

Do they sell any wintery type clothes in hnl or only very summery stuff because of the climate?

SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
406 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: winter clothes

We were there in December and yes there was winter clothes as this is their winter.

Not as many summer clothes as I would have liked to be able to buy.

It was good to get the winter clothes, but could not use them till now.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,257 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winter clothes

Yes! They have down filled Aloha shirts at the Ala Moana mall.

Just kidding my friend!

O'ahu has what is called a 'raw' day now and then when folks put on a long sleeved tee. And b*tch and moan about the weather.

You may find an occasional sweatshirt with a hoodie, but that's about it so far as I know.

If you're looking to take advantage of the favorable US prices, maybe take a look at an online vendor offering winter clothes and have them delivered to your hotel/condo on O'ahu???? Maybe someone with experience will chime in here.....

Actually, upon reflection, the Big Island and Maui, as well, have very cool climates at altitude. So there may be more wintery clothing options than I'm aware of.

Happy hunting~~~~~~~~~~

Edited: 26 June 2012, 07:23
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,775 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: winter clothes

I've always seen winter clothes in the stores here on Kaua`i, but in our fall/winter.

SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
406 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: winter clothes

There was lots of stores that had winter shirts, jumpers, jackets etc.

Sears, Target (got some great winter tops for 21year old daughter, and jacket), Macys, and the shops at the Waikele Outlets all had winter stock.

There is a forever 21 in the main street, that sells lots of winter clothes and they were disgustingly cheap, a winter jacket that would cost more than a $100 in Oz cost us less than $20 and they are excellent quality.

Daughter came back with all winter clothes and not able to find summer clothes.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,257 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: winter clothes

OK, I pledge to forever just shut my mouth about shopping options on O'ahu.

Wow....

Lesson learned!!

Happy shopping~~~~~~~~~~~

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,466 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: winter clothes

Most everyone I know who bothers to buy winter clothes...

Gets them in Vegas.

They got some great Ross Stores there.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: winter clothes

AlanRoberta - A Sydney winter is very different to a Seattle winter, I think we are talking about entirely different winter clothes here from what you are used to. :)

This winter I actually took some of the summer Hawaii stuff - tank top style dresses - and I am wearing them to work over the top of a long sleeved layering top and leggings. Mind you the average temperature in our office is 24 degrees centigrade, so I can get away with this. :)

Most of the clothes I am wearing this winter I got in Hawaii and they are largely long sleeve tops which I throw a jacket over if going outside.

I imagine if I were in Seattle in winter wearing these clothes I would be officially a popsicle iceberg human :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: winter clothes

Yes, when it is winter on the Mainland (W Hemisphere), you will find plenty of winter clothes in the department stores.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
551 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: winter clothes

my wife and i went to canada this past winter, and we couldn't find any place to sold decent winter clothes for that weather. hahaha. had to purchase from online retail stores.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: winter clothes

In the tourist shopping districts, the stores aren't focused on selling to locals. They're selling to people who will be heading home to points around the globe -- serious fashion fans who consider shopping part of a fun vacation. So the shops push the same seasonal fashions you'll find in mainland U.S.

Still, it always amuses me to walk down Kalakaua amid hundreds of shorts-wearing tourists past shop windows filled with the jeans, heels, sweaters, office attire, etc., that no one in sight is wearing.

Bottom line: There's a lot more to buy there than flip flops and shorts. But don't expect to see a lot of fur coats and Ugg boots filling the shop windows in June. And, in big department stores like Macy's, you can find jeans and other non-vacation-wear stuff year-round.