We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good food for Friday night dinner on the beach

san jose
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
good food for Friday night dinner on the beach

Hi experts

Any recommendations for great food for Fri night dinner at a restaurant on the beach in Waikik?

We'll be there early Sep, will we be able to see sunset then?

Thinking about Orchids/ House without a Key. But seems like House without a key looks to be better for drinks?

Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Orchids
Orchids
1,313 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good food for Friday night dinner on the beach

If you choose a restaurant at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on a Friday night, you can also see their fireworks.

san jose
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good food for Friday night dinner on the beach

Thanks! Planning to take a walk on the beach to catch the fireworks after dinner since we usually eat early

not too fond of the restaurants at HHV though.

Not sure which restaurant is better suited, we want to be near/at beach for dinner.

Good food, not too rowdy kid friendly place. Want to have a special dinner with the parents and a toddler.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good food for Friday night dinner on the beach

Best place for the fireworks is around the Hilton Lagoon ... really nice there.

The Hilton itself is usually packed ... so I wouldn't go in there unless you do eat there of course ... but as you don't fancy that, there are heaps of restaurants to choose from within walking distance ... the Wailana Coffee House is popular ... it's not on the beach though, but opposite the park, which is opposite the Hilton. It gets good reviews on TA.

Mentioned in this post
Wailana Coffee House
Wailana Coffee House
1,846 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
669 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good food for Friday night dinner on the beach

sarento's at the top of the ilikai is pretty good. great view of the sunset, not rowdy. great place to have a special dinner with parents and a kid.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good food for Friday night dinner on the beach

Shore Bird at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach will fit your bill. Restaurant is on the beach, request beach side table for sunset and HHV fireworks after dinner.

Enjoy, the month of September will be "Aloha Week". Festivities begins after labor day with activities through out the islands.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good food for Friday night dinner on the beach

Shore Bird it it. Lot's of fun, great views. Look no further. Chuck...

Dallas
Level Contributor
24,843 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good food for Friday night dinner on the beach

We love Shorebird too and I highly recommend it as well.

That said, couple of things you should be sure to know about it? Requesting a "beach side" table usually is of no use. If you want a beach side table, you need to get there early and find one vacant and then jump on it. I have never been able to get one beach side by asking for it.

Also, you need to understand that this is a place that has a huge grill where you must cook your own steak, chicken, fish, burger or whatever. I love to grill so it is a place I love but some people do not want to cook it themselves.

Last, do not let them sit you close to the grill or in the back part of the restaurant. The grill puts off lots of heat and there is not much breeze that gets in the back and it can be extremely uncomfortable.

My best strategy is 1) get there early and drink good mai-tai's for $3.50 for happy hour. 2) Keep watching for a window table to open up and then jump on it. We sometimes sit somewhere else to begin with but tell the waitress that we are moving as soon as we see one come open. Usually in the bar area actually. 3) Make sure you grill some pineapple from the salad bar and some garlic toast when you grill your steak or chicken. They are fabulous with your meal !!!

Lastly, have a great trip !!

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Aloha
Aloha
4 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Dallas
Level Contributor
24,843 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good food for Friday night dinner on the beach

OH, and I forgot number 4 !!

4) You can find a coupon good for 50% off of a second entree at the Shorebird. Look for it in the little coupon books available at all the Outrigger Hotels. You can actually pick one up in the Outrigger Reef after you get there. It is a small book about 3inches by 3 inches and in racks on the walls.

You can find the same coupon in the other coupon magazines available all over Waikiki as well.

Makes the meal pretty cheap actually. They also have an early bird special which is an 8oz. sirloin and salad bar for like $16.95 so for tow people it is pretty inexpensive and its a pretty good steak. My wife actually loves the teriyaki chicken and it does have a good teriyaki marinated flavor i must admit. I usually eat the steak and about half of her chicken too.

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Aloha
Aloha
4 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good food for Friday night dinner on the beach

Have a look through this website.

www.spotlighthawaii.com

It is an online version of free tourism booklets available on the sidewalks around Waikiki.

Click on Oahu .. then when the booklet comes up, click on any corner and the pages will flip over.

You may find some coupons which will suit you... as well as lots of information on what to see and do while on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,865 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: good food for Friday night dinner on the beach

I like Shore Bird a lot, but it is a cook your own meal place and not everyone likes that.

Cocktails at the House Without a Key followed by dinner at Orchids is by far the best plan. Orchids is one of the best restaurants on Oahu and not only is the food special, but so is the whole experience.

Mentioned in this post
Orchids
Orchids
1,313 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii