We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extremely Poor service at ALAMO/Honolulu Airport

Reston, VA
2 posts
Save Topic
Extremely Poor service at ALAMO/Honolulu Airport

Last week we had to catch a 5:00 AM flight from HNL to Hilo . Was at the Alamo center by 330am to drop off the car. To our surprise the facility was closed. And there was no drop off facility either. The return lane was blocked by their airport shuttle bus. I called the 800 number but only got a call center who just repeated that I can return the car only after they open at 530a. They said there weren't aware of a return/drop off box either. Transferred me to a Cust. Service rep in mainland US who repeated the same thing and said they couldn't do anything. So if you are taking an early flight what is a customer supposed to do? Do they expect you to pack the car and take it as carry on or checked luggae?

I ended up sending my family on the flight and I rebooked on a later flight at my own expense and returned the car around 530am. I lost money (booking in first class since there were no other seats in economy) and missed out on some trips we were to make in Hilo, Hawaii.

The agent's excuse was that they open only after 5am because the airport also opened at 5am only. That was B.S., because I was at the airport at 4am and rebooked my flight. After I showed my ticket he just said, I only work here. Hawaiian #102 from HNL to Hilo has a scheduled departure of 5:00AM.

ALAMO Service in Kahului was not much better. Since I declined the upgrade and the insurance, the agent asked how many in the party. I told him 4. He offered the upgrade to a larger vehicle. When I declined he sarcastically said "I am sure you will have a very comfortable ride" and literally tossed the papers over to me.

ALAMO service was terrible. Will never use them EVER or recommend them again.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
LA
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Extremely Poor service at ALAMO/Honolulu Airport

And this is the only thing notable about your trip to Hawaii?

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,097 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extremely Poor service at ALAMO/Honolulu Airport

I can understand you're being upset. I'd escalate this to Alamo HQ.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extremely Poor service at ALAMO/Honolulu Airport

heck out this link. They got some satisfaction after their complaint. Give it a try!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k536354…

Reston, VA
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Extremely Poor service at ALAMO/Honolulu Airport

It ruined the Hilo leg of the trip but otherwise Hawaii was just fantastic. Will surely return but will stay away from using ALAMO for sure.

Edited: 03 July 2012, 22:10
Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Garland, Texas
Level Contributor
154 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extremely Poor service at ALAMO/Honolulu Airport

What about the others Avis, Hertz, Budget, National? Are they open at the wee hours?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extremely Poor service at ALAMO/Honolulu Airport

i would contact Alamo. Also a word to the wise -- if you have a very early or very late arrival/departure, good to check with the rental car company to make sure they will be available.

I can't imagine they don't have a drop off service - most do.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Extremely Poor service at ALAMO/Honolulu Airport

I'm sorry for your inconvenience. Stuff happens and Alamo does publish their hours and also tells you if you ask when renting regarding early morning returns.

I had a similar thing happen parking my car in a garage. The garage wasnt open when I wanted to leave. I just laughed and accepted my mistake as my responsibility.

Good luck in the future.

san francisco
Level Contributor
70 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extremely Poor service at ALAMO/Honolulu Airport

Oh!!! now I am worried. We have booking with Alamo in Oahu for later this month.....

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extremely Poor service at ALAMO/Honolulu Airport

Stop worrying...

The good experiences far outweigh the negative ones. I always go through Priceline and about half the time it's an Alamo rental. Never had an issue.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,393 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Extremely Poor service at ALAMO/Honolulu Airport

goin2Cancun,

Why are you worried? If I were returning a car at 3:30am the first thing I would have asked is are they open at that time! The OP did not inquire about this and that is where the problem is. Obviously if they would have known then other arrangements could have been made to avoid all the inconveniences.