We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions for upcoming visit!

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Davis, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions for upcoming visit!

Been following all the discussions recommendations on airport transfers, company's etc. I am sure most are pretty good, people have bad times, people have good time etc. What I have noticed is some people quote cabs 30, some at 40, which is it? Seems the quotes go up whenever someone is saying to use "X" service.

Second question: Where to snorkel? I see vans over to Hanaxxxx bay for 20 something dollars, then I see a van over to north shore with snorkeling and beach time, a little more, but further away etc. etc.... Is the snorkeling the tour will take us to equivalent?

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
951 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit!

I paid $40 from the airport to my Waikiki hotel last January. this included the tip.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit!

There is no "which is it." Traffic, hotel location, and whether or not someone is counting the tip cause the disparity in the prices you're hearing. Someone whose plane landed at 9 p.m. probably paid less for a cab than someone whose plane landed at 4:30.

Also, if you're going to Hilton Hawaiian Village you'll have a shorter cab ride than if you're going to the Waikiki Marriott. So cab fares usually vary from about $30 to $40, with no concrete "price" to be nailed down in between.

The last couple cabs I remember taking from HNL to Waikiki were during relatively bad traffic to the near end of Waikiki (nearest to airport, specifically to HHV and to Outrigger Reef.) Both times, those cabs were about $35 before tip.

Re whether snorkel sites are "equivalent": You'll get different answers in here on what the best snorkeling site is. But I suspect the most popular answer to that question is that Hanauma Bay is most people's favorite.

If I had a choice between taking a tour to the North Shore to snorkel or taking a tour to Hanauma Bay to snorkel, not even factoring in price, I would pick Hanauma Bay. I can't compare the snorkeling there to, say, Shark Cove. But I can tell you that it's very good and the location itself is spectactular. (If you do a Google Image search for Hanauma Bay, you'll see what I mean. It's a rare, utterly unique, absolutely gorgeous geological formation that offers very good snorkeling.)

If you want a more concrete answer, post in here your specific options (X place for X dollars vs. the alternative) and people here will give you more specific responses.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,919 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit!

Usually the question is: What does a taxi cost from the airport to Waikiki (general term)? Well, Waikiki isn't one dot on a map. Some folks are on the airport-end of "Waikiki" - say the Prince or the Ilikai .... while others are on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki, possibly all the way out to the New Otani. So it's a small wonder why you'll see a range of answers instead of only one definitive one. The last time I took a cab from Waikiki to the airport, the driver forgot to turn the meter on ... and charge me $25!

BTW, you can take the city bus to Hanauma Bay.

Edited: 05 July 2012, 22:47
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit!

You can snorkel at the Waikiki Marine Life Conservation District.

hawaiiforvisitors.com/oahu/attractions/waiki…

We saw many large fish from the shore. That, of course, would cost you nothing in terms of entrance fee or transportation. You can rent gear from Snorkel Bob. Have fun!

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit!

I would say closer to 40. And it is more coming from the airport because they have an airport fee

Davis, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit!

Thanks for the links, exactly what I wanted, and the cab ride and snorkel comments. I have been before and taken vans from the airport (waiting for the collection of all riders) and tours, but years ago! I know there is a lot w to do and won't plan every day ....in the past I used to run around Diamond head from Waikiki and up t the top and around, does anybody know how far that would be?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,519 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit!

Look for Hanauma Bay snorkeling coupons in the free magazines.

You can probably get one for about $15 (or less) includes snorkel equipment & transportation to Hanauma Bay. Plus it is $7.50 admission no matter how you get there. Equipment from the "tours" seem to be a little better than renting the equipment at Hanauma Bay.

I think you will find that when you add the costs of airport transportation, tours, buses, etc. will be not much less than if you rent a car while on Oahu.

Running trails. Click on any of the red check marks for a map.

runningroomhawaii.com/main/routes/index.html

Davis, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit!

Dusty56438, thanks for the info! Looks like 1 or 2 days of daily car rentals, plan drive/tour days on expected jelly fish days a trip to Hanauma bay, social coupons for catamaran and all set! Noticed a slid guitar festival going on over in the park on the 16th. I don't think I will be jumping off the rock again..:)

Aloha!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,285 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit!

There are a lot of cabs that offer a flat rate of $30 to Waikiki and you can find them through Google or various threads here. So $30 + a $5 or $6 tip.

I've never actually used a cab since I always rent a car when on business or vacation. The only time I've used other transportation is when I have been part of a group with my company as we have done events at the Kahala, JW Marriott and Royal Hawaiian over the years and even then I rent a car as soon as we get to the hotel. The thought of being without a car sends shivers down the back of a So Calian.

Davis, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit!

On the off chance I decide to just get a car for the whole trip, is Snorkle Bob;s still in business, or any recommendation on grabbing equipment for a weeks rental? We are staying at Outrigger reef at Waikiki, thus I would probably go to one of the other places I have seen discussion on parking to save a few on parking.