We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations on Waikiki

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
673 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendations on Waikiki

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Hawaii on May 2013. We're in our late 50s; my DH has chronic fatigue due to his successful cancer treatment in 2010, so he has to sleep during the day- usually in the morning. We want a reasonably priced hotel ( hopefully around $200 for a double) near the beach and also to reasonably priced restaurants. A comfortable bed and not too much noise are important; the view from the room isn't because we don't expect to be there much. Should we be looking toward the eastern part of Waikiki for less noise? I'm considering Hotel Renew, Aqua Lotus, Outrigger Reef on the Beach and Outrigger Waikiki on the beach. I'd appreciate any comments on these hotels and also any other suggestions. Thanks.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendations on Waikiki

I'll let others comment on the hotels. I just wanted to congratulate your husband on beating cancer.I've been there. Awesome!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendations on Waikiki

Thanks so much. It was a difficult treatment but we've been very very lucky. Congratulations to you, too.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendations on Waikiki

Of those you mention, the Outrigger Reef would be my choice.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,839 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendations on Waikiki

I would look at the Outrigger Reef, Waikiki Parc and Outrigger Waikiki first and see what kind of prices you can get.

I'd pass on the Aqua Lotus and Hotel Renew, maybe look at the Park Shore, Waikiki Beach Hotel and Queen Kapiolani if you can't get the kind of prices you want from the first three.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendations on Waikiki

Congratulations on your medical success!!!

Re hotels: I would pass on Aqua Lotus (never heard a good word about it), Hotel Renew (heard some bad stuff about it), AND Outrigger Waikiki (seems too much like a bustling party atmosphere). Of your choices, that leaves Outrigger Reef as the best.

If quiet is more important than easy walks to shops and restaurants, I would look at the Hawaii Prince Hotel or possibly the Modern -- both are on the marina. I would also consider the New Otani Kaimana.

However, if being close to shops and restaurants is also important, I think I'd pick Outrigger Reef.

But no matter which hotel you pick, come back here and ask for advice on what type of room to book. Some hotels can be either very noisy or very quiet, depending entirely on what room you're in. The experts here can help you choose!

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendations on Waikiki

I also like the Outrigger Reef best from your list.

Another option you might like is The Breakers on BeachWalk. It's a more "old school" kind of place with a lot of island charm (low-rise). suze

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendations on Waikiki

I thought I responded yesterday, but guess not.

My wife also went through chemo last year. We're glad she's recoverying well, and coming to Hawaii this Aug.

We booked at the Park Shore hotel, oceanview, for $109/n. It was through

discounthotelshawaii.com

That site has lots of good info.

We booked Park Shore for several reasons, it's supposedly quieter than other places in Waikiki (which doesn't get very quiet). It's across from the beach. It also has good price. It's at the eastern end (Diamond Head end) of Waikiki, but still close to a lot of shops and restaurants.

We stayed at the Outrigger Reef in 2005. That was nice. But we had a voucher for that, so didn't have to pay the higher price.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendations on Waikiki

Middleager- I'm glad to hear your wife is doing well too.

I'm going to talk to DH about his priorities re quiet vs being near restaurants, then try to decide on a hotel, then get back to this forum to ask about specific locations in the hotel. Thanks for that suggestion, BeacheeMe

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel recommendations on Waikiki

The Park Shore even though is at the eastern end of Waikiki, still has a lot of restaurants. Right on site of PS is Lulu's, got lots of good reviews. It also has a Japanese restaurant, and Starbuck. Got other restaurants close by. This hotel is rated 2-3 star, so it's not luxury, no spa, no room service, no banquet facility, but it's proximity to beach and being quiet, gives it a lot of pluses.

Since you're from the EST like us, it's a 6 hr time difference. So in the first few days, will feel tired early, and wake up early. That's ok, because a lot of tours start the pick ups early.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,058 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel recommendations on Waikiki

Couple of pretty good restaurants in the Marriott Waikiki Beach as well. The buffet is fairly good and reasonably priced.