We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl Harbour on January 2nd, 3rd or 4th

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
683 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pearl Harbour on January 2nd, 3rd or 4th

We are visiting in January and certainly want to visit Pearl Harbour. I understand I can go online and pre-book for the Arizona Memorial which sounds like a good idea so, although this is a holiday I'd prefer to wing it day by day, it sounds like we need to pre-deterimine which day to visit Pearl Harbour. We could do it on either January 2nd, 3rd or 4th (which are my preferred date options) or we could leave it until the following week. So I'm wondering if, since it's peak season, would January 2,3 and 4 all be really busy days or would one be less busy than the others?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,644 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearl Harbour on January 2nd, 3rd or 4th

They are closed January 1.

So I predict it will be busy on January 2 or 3.

So reserve it for January 4.

Don't know if you know, but you can make reservations now up to 6 months in advance.

Costs $1.50 each. But it beats waiting in line for otherwise free tickets.

www.recreation.gov

Check each day on the calendar on the link & pick a day & time that fits your schedule.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
399 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearl Harbour on January 2nd, 3rd or 4th

Found out a couple things, which may or may not apply for this. But Mon, Wed, and Fri morning 10am tour is reserved for school groups, and also, it is a hassle to change your time, so either make new time and pay the $1.50, or get there earlier and take your chances that someone did not show up. We jumped on our planning a little too soon, and realized our original time would take up too much of the middle of the day and we would also have a long time to stand around if we missed our shuttle. Using the Arizona shuttle for pick-up, but may do something else after.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearl Harbour on January 2nd, 3rd or 4th

Normally, tourism takes a break after New Years. However, this year school breaks in many areas are set for the Dec 22 to January 7.

So, it will be a good idea to book online.

In discussions this week while on Oahu, I believe this will have a few fun, unexpected twists to winter break. First issue, for those that work, will be that children get off the first week in January while the parents will have to dive into 2013 vacation time for travel. Okay, TMI.

I say, book the 4th.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 21:47
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
683 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearl Harbour on January 2nd, 3rd or 4th

Okay, thanks for your advice and I'll go online and try to book the 4th.

Would Pearl Harbour be affected by local school holidays or is it more the tourists that visit there?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,753 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearl Harbour on January 2nd, 3rd or 4th

Aloha,

The answer would be both.

Book ahead, get there on time and maybe check out Pearl's other historical activities.

A good day and very well done,

Aloha

6. Re: Pearl Harbour on January 2nd, 3rd or 4th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 07:16