We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigger Reef

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Outrigger Reef

i was wondering if anyone has stay at Outrigger Reef.? If so , how was it ? Thoughts? Good, BAd, There is a possibility that I will be going to Wakikki in Nov . I think Outrigger Reef would be a good place to stay. The locaton seem pretty good. It has everyting I am looking for in accomodations. Thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrigger Reef

I haven't stayed at the Outrigger Reef, but you should get plenty of replies from folks who have. I have toured around it - eaten there, shopped there, hung out by the pool cafe and listened to music there ... and when in the area, it's my favorite place to stop and, um, use the "facilities." So - I would stay there in a heartbeat if the room had a good view.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrigger Reef

We have stayed there twice. It is very nice if you get an ocean view room. (not partial) Otherwise your view will be the buildings next to and across from you, and lots of street noise.

I love the Outrigger Reef. The pool area is especially nice with two hot tubs that have tiki torches that light up at night.

The pool is in a courtyard with no view of the water, if that's a deal breaker.

The lobby has a lot of neat shops, some $$$$, but lots not so much. We love happy hour at the Shorebird. Nothing like sitting at the rail and watching the sun set. Bliss. Dang it, now I am missing Oahu all over again :(

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrigger Reef

I forgot to say the room decor is very nice, the rooms we had were clean, and the bathrooms were very nice. You have to pay for wifi.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,981 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outrigger Reef

Why is this your first pick?

It is a perfectly good hotel, but as flippr says, the room choice might be an issue. We too frequent the Reef and enjoy the shops and the restaurants.

However, I would never stay there. The dealbreaker for me is the fact that the pool is completely enclosed by the hotel. Absolutely no view of the water, the beach or anything else. Just as well be in a city hotel pool almost anywhere else in the world.

Also, there is no place to just sit and enjoy views of the beach and the water on a lanai. Only if you want to get a place in the sand.

The beach and water that is visible there is not the prettiest part of Waikiki Beach and not much activity to watch. We love to watch the surfers, the catamarans, the waves, the real blue colored water, the outrigger canoes, etc. from the main part of Waikiki Beach. That is not viewable at the Reef.

So, I would not stay there as much as we like the hotel and go down there to eat and happy hour at least a couple of times every trip.

Lots of better options in my opinion.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outrigger Reef

Here's my review: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60982-d8705…

Some people love the place, but it's not for me -- the property is hemmed in and seriously short on the expansive ocean views, wide-open sky, and lush landscaping you can find elsewhere on Waikiki. (Other than that, it's fine.)

Sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Outrigger Reef

We stayed there last year and we will be going again in November for our Honeymoon. The hotel has a great location and the rooms, staff and facilities I think are all very good. With regards to the pool not having a view it really wasn't a big deal for us cause if we really wanted to see the beach we would just walk the 2 minutes from the pool down to see it.

I would also recommend the Holiday Inn not beach front but wonderful location, basic but large clean rooms, great rates and great restaurant Jimmy Buffets attached to the lobby.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outrigger Reef

The Reef is a great hotel and the Ocean View and Ocean Front rooms have amazing views down the beach and of Diamond Head.

The pool is nice and not being on the beach wouldn't matter to me, it is a nice pool anyway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outrigger Reef

We love the OR.! We love that end of the beach compared to Waikiki central. It's still in very easy walking distance to everything on the 'strip'. We love the bar there , Shorebirds. Love breakfast in the Ocean Terrace restaurant. Nice to sit & listen to live music at the front bar /restaurant of an evening.

The rooms overlooking the pool are a little smaller than those overlooking the park, in our experience. All the rooms are nice. If u can, push to ocean view. We find it well kept & rooms are always clean. The pool is nice enough but no ocean view. We like to sit on the beach itself so we don't care ! :).

We like the location so much we either stay at the OR or next door at the Waikiki shore condos. We have tried other hotels but we now know 'There' is our perfect spot !

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,764 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Outrigger Reef

Aloha,

If you want to stay there.

Book it soon

Waikiki is going though some good times.

Really a World Wide Destination.

Dont miss out

Aloha

New Zealand
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outrigger Reef

Just got back from 12 night stay at Outrigger Reef. Had a 1 bedroom suite on city side. 2 x adults & 2 x teenage daughters. It was our 2nd stay there in 3 years. facilities are excellent , having the pool enclosed is no big deal , was nice to get away from beach a couple of times. very handy to all shops & bars in Waikiki. We ate out most nights - PF Changs , Yardhouse , Hard Rock.

Breakfest at hotel was good. Visited friends at Hilton - we didnt like it.

Plan to return in 3 years & stay once again at Outrigger Reef. Carparking not cheap , but no where is.