We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing Lessons

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch...
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Topic
Surfing Lessons

Right I am heading towards 50 and have found this new lease on life hahaha so I am going to give Surfing Lessons a go with my hubby and Miss 12, we are staying in Waikiki for 14 days and would like to know some good places to get lessons.

Am I excited about doing this Hell yes Bring it on hahaha.

Thanks for any advise

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing Lessons

My children and family friends swear by Treper (Spelling issue I'm sure) and he works for a stand in front of the Royal Hawaiian.

My children had a couple 'bad' experiences at other places. Now, they take all there friends who visit to this stand and ask for their favorite instructor.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,926 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing Lessons

I would look at Aloha Beach Services in front of the Moana Surfrider. It is owned by the Kahanamoku family and dates back to the old days of the Waikiki Beach Boys.

alohabeachservices.com/Aloha_Beach_Services/…

I would take lessons as early as you can in the morning, 7:30AM or 8AM.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,598 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing Lessons

Donna A - I think we call that "middle age crazies" here !! LOL

Good for you !!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,045 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing Lessons

My dh was over 50 when he took his first surfing lesson!! You can find them all over Waikiki or for more of a personal touch try Hawaiian Fire. Run by actual Honolulu firemen.

www.hawaiianfire.com/Irons/

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
438 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfing Lessons

PLEASE PLEASE make sure you find a reputable surf instructor that has a current "blue card." The State of Hawaii issues these blue cards to all surf instructors who have passed written & practical exams and have also proven they have the proper certification (i.e. CPR, lifesaving). Further, they have to prove employment with an insured company on file with the State. Many folks on Craigslist market themselves as great deals, but are not blue card certified.

As for me, I would also nominate Aloha Beach Services. They got my mom (who just turned 60) to stand up on a board and she loved it!

6. Re: Surfing Lessons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 20:07
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surfing Lessons

I started surfing when I was 23...Kinda late really...But @ 50 it's never too late...

Now @ 63,I'm still hooked on this wonderful sport as well as yoga of course...

My first surf in Waikiki was @ Three's reef or Kaiser's circa November,1979...My first overseas surfing trip and one of most favorite holidays...

I'm with Scottca on taking early as possible surfing lessons....1.Usually less crowded,favorable conditions and 2.It's a lot cooler early morning before the sun starts to burn later...

You will become very tired from paddling,however forge ahead and enjoy the experience,besides think of your incredible fitness after sampling the delights of surfing...

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Surfing Lessons

Thanks everyone awesome info, and yes placebets I am crazy but loving it this year has been my year of new adventures lol Zumba, Boxing, Circuits, and yes cocotang Yoga and I love it.

SO now I am really looking forward to getting out in the water woohoo.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surfing Lessons

Fabulous Donna...!!....life begins @ 50 and let the excitement begin....

I am not teaching surfing but I am a qualified yoga teacher and enjoying every minute...It has taken me this long to discover my most favorite job in the whole world....Doesn't pay much but the gratitude is overwhelming...And I don't even consider yoga teaching a job....

You will probably find that yoga will enhance your surfing after you find comfort in your surfing....

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surfing Lessons

Wow Donna, awesome!! So glad for this list! Yes, this is on my list for my upcoming birthday- in the 40's, just to ride some waves & get up on a surf board with my best friends would be the best birthday wish come true! I also have a new lease on life, losing 80 lbs since Sept, my goal is 100 lbs and when I hit that century, my goal is to surf! I enjoy zumba too but so addicted to Ujam- like hip hop zumba & they are going to be bringing Ujam to the new UFC gym in Oahu soon so I can't wait to dance there!! Also love kick boxing and body pump classes and lifting weights, who would've thought! I need to try yoga, I know it's great for the soul! Hell yes, to us late bloomers in the adventure & excitement dept!!! You only live once- how do you wish to live?! :)