We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lulu's and "Hawaiian beignets"?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Topic
Lulu's and "Hawaiian beignets"?

Lulu's was recommended by a friend and my husband wants to try the Portugese/Hawaiian version of these sweet treats.

What are your thoughts on Lulu's and where is the best place for these pastries? We'll be there soon!

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lulu's and "Hawaiian beignets"?

They're called malasadas; and the best place in Honolulu will be Leonard's Bakery on Kapahulu Ave. the best place on the windward side will be Agnes's in Kailua.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lulu's and "Hawaiian beignets"?

Lulu's is a restaurant in Waikiki. I've been there 4 or 5 times for breakfast or lunch. The food is ok but nothing to write home about. A good sport bar during football season.

Malasada is a Portugese donut, not a "version" of a beignet. Two different things to me.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lulu's and "Hawaiian beignets"?

Thanks KailuaBred and msfuzz. We are looking forward to trying malasadas! msfuzz: do you get yours at Leonard's too?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lulu's and "Hawaiian beignets"?

Do you like them filled or unfilled? I'm sure we'll try both.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,610 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lulu's and "Hawaiian beignets"?

<The food is ok but nothing to write home about. >> I totally agree with MsFuzz about Lulu's. No big deal. I usually stay at a hotel close to Lulu's, so I have had lunch and breakfast there a few times - but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. Truthfully, I prefer the Starbucks "underneath" Lulu's.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lulu's and "Hawaiian beignets"?

We'll pass then, I guess.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,610 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lulu's and "Hawaiian beignets"?

Tell us again where you are staying ...

If you need ideas on where to eat B/L/D, a good practice is to start reading down through the Oahu Forum. We talk about food all the time.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lulu's and "Hawaiian beignets"?

I have gotten great recommendations here. I've been doing a lot of searching too! The list just gets longer and longer because friends are now suggesting places they've visited and many of their suggestions haven't showed up on my threads yet. Thanks for the help. I think I have dinner covered. Lunch will be on the run. I guess I just need a few breakfast suggestions. I've found Keoni's, Dukes, lulu's, and the Outrigger buffet. Also, we'lll have malasadas a few times too!

We're staying at the Waikiki Marriott Beach Resort and Spa.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,138 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lulu's and "Hawaiian beignets"?

I am a fan of Lulu's, especially breakfast and lunch (try the blackened blue eggs benedict - so good!).

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,004 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lulu's and "Hawaiian beignets"?

I am fan of Lulu's for breakfast, happy hour and later at night depending on what the night time music is.

http://www.luluswaikiki.com/events.html

I am less thrilled about it for lunch or dinner.

Leonard's is great, they have more than malasadas and be sure you get a Leonard's t-shirt too. You'll be the coolest couple in Hartford.