We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long layover - what to do on student budget

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Long layover - what to do on student budget

My son has a 9.5 hour layover in Honolulu. He arrives from Australia at 11 am so will have to go through customs. His flight does not leave until 8:35 pm. What options would he have that are very inexpensive?

Can he take a shuttle somewhere to get lunch and relax? How much time will he actually have with checking in, etc. He arrives on a Thursday. Thank you!!!

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,064 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long layover - what to do on student budget

He could catch a shuttle to Waikiki for about $8 I think.

I suggest he go to the Outrigger Waikiki Beach hotel and go get lunch in Dukes Beach Bar.

It is right on the primo part of Waikiki and probably the most popular spot for the younger crowd. Be careful because he may just decide not to leave and you may never see him again !!

He should be back at the airport by about 6:30 and he can catch a shuttle or taxi back. Taxi is probably faster but will cost about $35 plus tip.

Gives him 3 or 4 hours to enjoy Waikiki.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long layover - what to do on student budget

I agree with placebets - but your son really needs to watch the clock and make sure that he has time to get back to the airport and go through security and such. His luggage is checked already - yes? Also, it is easy enough to catch a shuttle to Waikiki - but he will need to make arrangements for pick up as well - at a hotel - which would be no big deal. The City bus will take him at least an hour - so that is to be avoided. Cabs will run about $40.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long layover - what to do on student budget

Will his luggage be checked thru? I ask because if it is, then he could use The Bus, public transportation and just go to the beach in Waikiki. It doesn't take that much longer than a shuttle that loops thru the various hotels and is a lot cheaper. He can have a cheap picnic lunch from any ABC Store for $5 and just hang out.

suze

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long layover - what to do on student budget

I think the bus would take too long. Her son could just get off the shuttle at the first hotel on Waikiki.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,064 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long layover - what to do on student budget

I'm telling you he doesn't need to worry about transport back to the airport. When a young single guy gets to Dukes and sees what is going on around there.....he's never leaving !!!!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,255 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long layover - what to do on student budget

How old is he? Can he rent a car? If he is, then I would suggest to rent a car. Drive into Waikiki, park at the zoo where it is free (or cheap.) Pack a swimsuit and have some lunch, then take a nice dip before heading back to the airport.

Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long layover - what to do on student budget

Thanks for your suggestions. No, he can't rent a car, not old enough (20) and I'm sure that would be out of the price range.

Looked into the bus and see that it should take about an hour to get to Ala Moana Beach where there are shower facilities. (He will be coming from western Australia and a 15+ hour plane ride and will probably need one. haha). Taxi is $35 and 15 minutes.

Am looking at timeline and if he is able to check his luggage through to the next flight, he should have a good 4 hours or more at the Ala Moana Beach or downtown Waikiki.

Are you suggesting a hotel shuttle or which shuttle? Is it possible to go to a nearby hotel and then eat lunch there and possibly use the pool or is it pretty strict? Considering the first suggestion from placebets... THANK YOU!!!!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,255 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long layover - what to do on student budget

No, you cannot use a pool just for having lunch there. And yes, there are very strict about this, as they should be.

You can pay for a day so that he can use the pool, take a shower and have a little rest.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,064 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long layover - what to do on student budget

No there are no hotel shuttles. I'm talking about airport shuttles that pick up people for the various hotels. I think they are about $7 or $8 each way.

He can go eat lunch at any hotel he wants. But he can not legally use the pools if he is not staying there. But he can use a restroom to change into his swim suit and go swim in the ocean, and then there are fresh water showers for washing off the salt and sand along the beach at most of the hotels.

He could probably use those with out any issues. Then go back in the restroom to change back into his travel clothes. I still suggest the area along the Outrigger Waikiki and Moana Surfrider which sit adjacent to each other on the best part of Waikiki Beach.

There are some hostels that he could probably get a shower but I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with those and what they might charge. Also, I think there are some public showers down the beach at the Ft. DeRussy Park. So that might be an option.

Others will have some other ideas probably too.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long layover - what to do on student budget

I'd get a shuttle to Waikiki .. tell him to get off near the Moana Hotel and have lunch at Dukes on the beach .. he'll love it.

Placebets is right .. he won't want to leave ... but he'll be back.

But I would cab it back to the aiprort ... allow about 30 minutes travel time and check in for his flight a couple of hours before departure.

Do check with the airline about his luggage going through to his next destination, because if he has a large case and can't check it through, that's going to be a hassle. There are no luggage storage facilities at HNL Airport since 9/11.