We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Airport Shuttle

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
596 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best Airport Shuttle

Hi everyone.

I have read numerous posts, and see that a great way to get from the airport to Waikiki is via a shuttle. What I don't see (or haven't found yet) is what is the best shuttle service from the Airport to Waikiki.

I did a quick google search, and there appears to be many companies that offer this service.

My family and I (4 people total) are traveling to Oahu next week, and we are staying in Ko Olina. On the return trip home, our flight isn't until 11:30 PM. I was thinking about returning the rental car early, checking in the luggage, and then taking a shuttle to Waikiki. We could hang out for dinner, and then head back later in the evening.

Does that seem appropriate? If anyone can recommend good shuttle services, it would help. Thanks!

PS - I'm not opposed to taking the bus, but it seems that the time it takes it much longer compared to the shuttles.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,407 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Airport Shuttle

When are you travelling?

I recommend Hawaii23 but they are not operating in August, September and part of October. Other than that they are and they are highly recommended here.

go808express had some good reviews but lately they have had lots of problems and screwed around several people on here. So I no longer make a recommendation to use them.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
596 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Airport Shuttle

Hi - thanks for your reply. I'm traveling next week, so it looks like Hawaii23 is out.

I will look further into go808express.

Thanks again. :-)

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Airport Shuttle

padden .... I don't thing returning your rental car early is the best choice.

If your flight is not until 1130 pm, I don't see how you can check your luggage in to go to Waikiki. Airlines are not allowing passengers to check in luggage to hold for later flights. Unless, you are connecting from another island or a lay over, it is impossible to early check your luggage. There is a luggage holding company, but, why waste your time.

Did you calculate, how much more it is going to cost you without a car just to shuttle to Waikiki and back? What inconvenience it is to not keep your car where you can keep your luggage locked up in the truck.

Padden, your best bet is to keep your rental car for another day and go see and do everyting you are mentioning above. Paying the car rental for another day, you save on airport shuttle cost ($100 + r/t) have a place to keep your luggage and don't have to worry about transportation back to the airport. The only problem you have is returning the car, but, that's no pro blem, just head back early enough to check in.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Airport Shuttle

With 4 people traveling around together you might as well take a taxi. Because shuttles are priced per person, they really aren't a good value if you are 3+ people.

suze

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,407 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Airport Shuttle

I pretty much agree with suze2you.

I have cancelled go808express after the issues that have been brought up on TA. I'm not going to use them or recommend them.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Airport Shuttle

Oh and as far as getting from the airport, if you DO decide to use a shuttle, I just walk out of baggage claim and get on the next one that is boarding. I've never paid attention to which company. And I think this is the easiest way, even more so than reserving in advance. I do sometimes use the shuttles when I'm traveling alone, but if I'm with another person (or more) than we grab a taxi because the price is nearly the same and it's a lot quicker.

suze

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,407 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Airport Shuttle

I would never use a shuttle for 4 people if you are talking about shared shuttle. They wait to get filled, and stop at every hotel for someone on that ride. It can take a long time and still is $7 or $8 a person.

Take a cab for 4 people and don't worry about anything else.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
596 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Airport Shuttle

Wow - such great information.

I didn't realize that you couldn't check in as early as I hoped. Plus, shuttles/taxis cost a little more that I had thought. Based on that, I think we are just going to return the rental car late, and head to the airport late as well.

Thanks so much for all the help. I really appreciate it! :-)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
174 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Airport Shuttle

I highly recommend that you contact "Johnny Cab". He is related to the owner of Hawaii 23. We have been using John Smith (the "Johnny") for almost two years now. He is economical, incredibly reliable and just a plain nice guy. He has a mini-van so four people and their luggage is not a problem for him. We usually text him (808 722 4610) or johnrsmithiv@yahoo.com. We live in Waikiki and haven't taken any regular cab to the airport in two years. I can't say enough good about him and no, he didn't ask me to write this. I just appreciate his reliability, honesty and quick response.

albany, n.y.
Level Contributor
697 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Airport Shuttle

You might try Star Taxi. The cost is $30.00 for up to 4 passengers one way.

1-808-942-7827. They. have been in business for 18years. We use them

every time we travel to Oahu. Always on time and the price is about half the cost of the Speedi Shuttle.

Edited: 09 August 2012, 17:37