We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu for 3 nites

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Topic
Oahu for 3 nites

My daughter is going on the NCL cruise in Oct, but will spend 3 nites in Oahu previous to cruise. She is on her honeymoon, and they want to rent a car and drive around the island those 3 days. She has been once to Oahu with us (parents) upon her high school graduation and we enjoyed the north shore also. Should they use Honolulu as a base or 1 nite north shore and the other 2 nites Honolulu? or visa versa or any other suggestions? Thanks

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,461 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu for 3 nites

Base in Waikiki and rent the car...moving in only 3 days is a pain, driving to the North Shore is easier.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,168 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu for 3 nites

They need to either use North Shoe as a base or Waikiki as a base.

No reason to change accommodations for such a short visit to Oahu.

Oahu is small enough that they can tour the island from one location.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,507 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu for 3 nites

Certainly don't want to split up nights in two places with such a short stay. Stick with Waikiki. Rent a car (reserve in advance).

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oahu for 3 nites

if she is a " lay on the beach " and "go or a dip" kind of gal, then Waikiki is where she wants to be at that time of year. Rent a car for one day and marvel in the North Shore and it's crazy wave beauty.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu for 3 nites

For this trip she should 'hang' at Waikiki!

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oahu for 3 nites

It doesn't make sense to split such a short. Pick a home base and enjoy!

Edited: 10 August 2012, 06:02
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oahu for 3 nites

I have just read about the motorized hang gliding in the North Shore, so I am thinking about that as a gift to them, so now I am thinking about the first 2 nites in Honolulu, then the last at North Shore which would be Friday nite, then return car and board cruise ship on Sat as I am sure you board between noon and 4pm, sound doable? Since we live in Florida, laying on the beach is NOT priority to them. They like to sightsee and take in the sights. I am thinking, since arriving on Wed, (including Thursday) Pearl Harbor, stroll Waikiki & surf lesson, Diamond Head, general sights. Then arrive Fri at North Shore late afternoon, do the hang gliding first thing Sat morning, then plenty of time to return car and board cruise ship.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oahu for 3 nites

Aloha,

It has not happened here yet but, 6 lives have been lost to Trike accidents on two of the outer Islands.

staradvertiser.com/news/…

I try give people another take on this activity as the web sites dont.

Aloha

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oahu for 3 nites

I still don't see why checking out of one hotel and into another is in any way easier. I would bet that most of the people who take that hang-gliding excursion stay in Waikiki the whole trip.

I'm thinking that, because Waikiki is kind of busy and densely populated and cruise ships are busy and densely populated, maybe all three nights North Shore?

Your suggested split is doable, of course. But it seems to be based on the idea that they somehow get MORE Hawaii by staying in two places. And I just don't think that's true. Most people who stay in Waikiki get plenty of enjoyment out of the North Shore without staying there.

And they'll be getting so much of that "where are we off to now?" feeling on the cruise anyway, it just seems pointless.

(P.S. I grew up in Florida and, to me, beachgoing in Hawaii is a completely different experience. I love lying on and swimming at Hawaii beaches and don't feel that way about Florida beaches at all.)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,954 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oahu for 3 nites

Depending on what she wants to do go either Waikiki all three nights or North Shore all three nights. If she wants to sightsee, stay in Waikiki, if you wants to relax and stay put, go to the North Shore.