We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhapsody of the Seas

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Rhapsody of the Seas

Just wondering if anyone in the forum might have taken this cruise from Sydney to Honolulu...my partner & I are thinking of doing this in April 2013. It is a 19 days cruise with 2 night (can be extended) stay in Waikiki - I think at the Hyatt.

The cruise includes air fares back to Sydney with Hawaiian and the all up price is $3,500 each and that includes all meals on the boat. It also included transfers in Honolulu and the accommodation

I think it is seemingly good value but I have never been on a cruise before and would like some insider info please. Been to Honolulu several times but like the idea of a more leisurely trip

Thank you

Kim.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhapsody of the Seas

I think that this is very good value.

We did NCL for our honeymoon around Hawaii and that was hit by bad weather. So check the weather patterns before cruising ie you don't want to hit a cyclone ect.

If you can afford it go for a balcony. With inside cabins you miss out on half the experience.

Per book you port trips and cancel prior if you change your mind easier to cancel that it is to get into a full day trip.

Go for a cabin in the middle of the ship to avoid so much motion.

Check cabin plans to ensure you are not near lift wells or maintenance areas.

The cruise lines make their money out of extras ie drinks ect

Melbourne
Level Contributor
515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhapsody of the Seas

Have a look on cruise critic for more info.

Rhapsody f the seas is meant to be a good ship and they have been working hard to make it Aussie friendly.

I would never go NCL again but have cruised with princess and they are brilliant! So would live to hear how rhapsody compares

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhapsody of the Seas

We've sailed on RCL's sister ships identical to Rhapsody of the Sea's a number of times in Europe. We love the ship's layout and the service given by the cruise line. Their employees are very friendly and well trained. We also stay at the Hyatt in Waikiki and love the location across from Kuhio Beach.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

The price sounds like a great deal. Be sure to book a cabin with a balcony, and yes, we try to get a stateroom as close to midship as well.

rhode island
Level Contributor
808 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhapsody of the Seas

We've sailed twice to Hawaii on Royal Caribbean ships and found it absolutely wonderful! We stayed a few extra nights in Honolulu to really get a chance to see the sights. The price seems like a good deal to me. I agree with the others to make sure you have a balcony if you can. There are so many beautiful sights to see from the ship that you may not get a chance to see on land. We were very fortunate to have the lava flowing at Kilauea when we sailed several years ago and the captain of the ship got up close enough to get a good view.

The ship and it's crew were excellant and the food was very good. It's a great way to see Hawaii for the first time because you get to see all of the major islands without worrying about packing up and airport transfers, etc. Enjoy you're planning!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhapsody of the Seas

Dear one ... please don't buy a cruise that long for your first cruise. That is alot of down-time. Alot of time at sea. You'll be seeing some South Pacific islands - but the days on land are rather short. Sure, the ship is going to be fascinating at first - but unless you are the type who can unwind and chill for days on end ... don't do it. And although some ships bend over backwards to provide interesting food services and entertainment - it can become routine quickly for some. Once you are at sea - you're at SEA. And the grand prize ... Hawaii at the end of the cruise ... your stay is so, so short for such a long cruise.

I have cruised alot ... talk cruises with friends often. I highly, highly suggest that you book a shorter cruise to start with and see how you like it.

Pull up Hawaiian Airlines website and take a look at their packages to Hawaii. You may be pleasantly surprised. I have been checking out the Australia to Hawaii flights and NZ to Hawaii flights ... and they have some good deals.

Good luck! You were so smart to post. (And the Cruise Critic website will make you crazy!)

Edited: 15 August 2012, 17:56
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rhapsody of the Seas

Kim -- also know that the Oahu Forum is crawling with Aussies! Lots of great information for you ...

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,152 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rhapsody of the Seas

I have to agree with BLBL on that. I have taken several cruises for week long cruises where you stopped at least at 4 or 5 places.

That was long enough for me for sure.

I also don't think a balcony is that big of a deal on a cruise that long. You will mostly be out to sea and that's not much too look at. They usually pull in to a port pretty early in the morning and leave pretty late in the evening. Balcony staterooms can be very expensive, and it's just much cheaper to go up on deck if you want to look at the scenery pulling in or out of port.

I would think for $7000 you could have an amazing time in Hawaii in a first class hotel and see and do lots of great stuff.

I would go on another cruise but never for 19 days. And I would not do the Hawaii cruise either.

But, whatever you decide, have a great time.

Aloha

LA
Level Contributor
10,037 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rhapsody of the Seas

I think you have to decide for yourselves how the number of days in port works out in comparison to the number of days not in a port. That is a long way by ship.

Personally, I would never do this as a first-time cruise. Far too few days in port and far too many days just spend traversing the ocean.

For that money, I'd fly to Hawaii and have a whale of a great time for 19 days on land.

rhode island
Level Contributor
808 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rhapsody of the Seas

Come to think of it, I think Betty Lou is right. I never thought of how LONG 19 days is for a cruise, especially for a first time cruiser. I like her idea on the Hawaiian air packages, check them out

Melbourne
Level Contributor
515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rhapsody of the Seas

19 days is a long time but you can use sea days as a chance to relax ect. Nyou could also try a 2 day sampler cruise prior to see if you like it.

There are heaps of cruises around Australia at the moment. So prices are brilliant. I love the one that goes to port Douglas. The cruise to nz is also very good. We did 7 days of this with princess and it was amazing. Milford sound via cruse ship would have to be one of the best sights I have seen.

NCL does a7 day cruise around the Hawaii islands. We hadavery bad experience with NCL but that was8 years ago since then they have changed the ship (we were on the star) and hopefully management and security practises. They no longer travel out of American waters so hopefully foreigners like us Aussie no longer have to surrender our passports (which is one thing you hold never do in my view).