We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! reduced airfare

California
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Help! reduced airfare

I booked my filght 2 days ago and now I see that the flight has gone down a whooping $200. It is a non refundable fare.

Does anybody know what I can do?

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! reduced airfare

Not much. Depending on the terms of your ticket, even if you were allowed to change the flight , the fees for doing so will probably run you about $100-$150.

That being said, read the fine print & call the airlines directly to see if there is anything you can do to get some money back. It doesn't hurt to ask.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! reduced airfare

You may be out of luck depends on the airline. Sometimes they will issue a credit and take out a fee. Probably resulting in $50 bucks for you or so.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! reduced airfare

Go to Yapta.com and it will explain everything. It will even track future fare drops for you.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,476 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! reduced airfare

I stop looking after I book. You cannot predict the future, so no use continuing to look at the fares after you've made your decision. I figure if it was good enough for me to book in the first place, I should just be happy I'm fortunate to go at all!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! reduced airfare

Quit looking? You have a non refundable ticket, it will only frustrate you to know it dropped. Unless it drops below the change free (usually like a couple hundred bucks) there is nothing to be done.

Plan the rest of your trip and don;t give it another thought.

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! reduced airfare

I agree with ddffpp.

I do a lot of shopping around before booking and once I hit the enter key on the non-refundable ticket I stop looking. I figure I got a good deal and it's unlikely the price will drop enough to make paying the change fee worthwhile. The rest of my time is spent looking at all the things I'll be doing when I get to my destination!

Hawaii - not until April 2013, but have a couple of other trips in between to make the time go by easier.

Can't wait - first time to Hawaii!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,304 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! reduced airfare

Call them and ask, it can't hurt.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,760 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! reduced airfare

Which airline? I think Alaska doesn't charge a ticket change fee if there is a fare decrease.

If this happened to me, booking with AA, I'd pay the $150 change fee and get a $50 voucher for myself and my DH. One hundered dollars is...$100.

OTOH, if you're not flying soon...might the fare drop even more? You could wait and see.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 23:27
Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
154 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! reduced airfare

Quite the frustrating experience... but I agree, only book when you're comfortable with that price because Hawaiian Airlines issues credit only and a change fee of a zillion dollars it seems.

California
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! reduced airfare

Yeah- Ya all are right! I should not have looked!!

I did call and while I was waiting to talk to a rep the price online went UP two different times. I did finally talk to a really nice rep and he had me email someone in customer service to see what besides a voucher could be done, so we will just wait and see

.BTW, by the end of the day, the price was back up to our original price, I know -I know! but I just couldnt help myself.

Maybe looking for a airfares early in the morning is a better idea.

I wish I understood airline crazy pricing!

Thanks everybody!!