We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping on Tours

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
500 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping on Tours

I've read differing opinions on this topic. Should tipping on tours be a flat rate per tourist or a percentage of the tour price? Also, does it make a difference if the tour is a bus tour vs. a minivan tour or hummer tour with less people? If you think it's a flat rate, what would be a good tip for a half day and a full day tour?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping on Tours

How any people in your party??

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping on Tours

Pago has a goofy bro-in-law who tips 20% no matter what. {';]\

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
500 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping on Tours

BLBL - 3 people in our party

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping on Tours

Hmmm ... well, my opinion: tipping is based on service as you know. Generally, a $20 to the driver would do it. Maybe $25 with three people. I would not go by percentage.

We have gone on some great tours where we just wanted to take the tour staff out to dinner with us! How many times did the catamaran staff have to fish my sun hat out of the water! Wonderful service.

We have been on a couple where ... oh, dear. One bus driver confessed that he was a stand in and didn't know anything. Doubt he got many tips or small ones.

I had one driver who would not shut up on the long drive back from the Polynesian Cultural Center late at night. Everyone was SO tired and hot. You could hear them groan every time she picked up the microphone to literally just talk at us. I don't think anyone tipped her. She was lucky to get away with her life.

OK - so much for stories ... just remember to have some green cash on you when you go.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 21:20
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,676 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping on Tours

Well, BLBL, I enjoyed your stories!

I always find tipping tours to be the most confusing thing. We go as a family of 4 and I tip a percentage of our total price. I start with 10% as my base then adjust up or down depending on how good or how much service we have received. I've almost always adjusted up and can happily say I've never had a bad tour on any Hawaiian island.

6. Re: Tipping on Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 04:17