We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Hawaiian Village - places to eat nearby?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
385 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Hawaiian Village - places to eat nearby?

I am considering staying at the Hilton Hawaiin Village resort for our final two days in Hawaii next May. It seems the only large hotel which will allow 5 in one room (as long as the youngest is under 6). I know from reading some reviews that they charge like wounded bulls for everything so I don't really want to tally up the $. Are there plenty of places around in that area where we can have a family meal for dinner and also breakfast. We just really want a nice room and let the kids go wild in the pools for the last two days. I have also read that it is under major construction so will certainly keep my eye on that before I book.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village - places to eat nearby?

While many on TA don't like the HHV I have always had a good time on property. My children enjoy the property as well because they enjoy all that is offered. However, while one may like sushi another prefers steak.

There are numerous choices in walking distance from 24 hour Diners to a couple 4 star restaurants. The Ala Moana mall is close as well with a huge selection from a massive food court to Nieman Marcus' Cafe.

California
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village - places to eat nearby?

If you walk across the street there is the wailana coffee house across the street. if you walk down the beach and go to the outrigger reef, there is the shorebird. it has a nice view and the price seems reasonable.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,237 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village - places to eat nearby?

Wailana Coffee House comes to mind. Food is OK; atmosphere is zero. There is a Red Lobster on Ala Moana that you will want to avoid.

Hopping on a bus to the Ala Moana (shopping) Center is a good option. There are restaurants with wonderful views on the top floor - and family oriented like California Pizza Kitchen (best hot fudge sundae in town) and Bubba Gumps.

If you head the other direction, across De Russy Park - you'll find the Beach Walk with lots of dining options, as well as the Kalakaua strip.

Although the HHV is has a very nice beach - I'd stay at the Embassy Suites. They have a made-to-order breakfast (their trademark) and it is a lovely hotel ... with families in mind. About 1/2 block from the beach, and much closer to the heart of Waikiki. That being said - if you need to be at the HHV, note the late afternoon dining options at Tropics. Less expensive, and the coconut shrimp is excellent.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village - places to eat nearby?

No worries... there are plenty of places to eat... all within walking distance!

There is also an ABC store right on site where you can pick up snacks and drinks. I always find this saves a bit when traveling with kids. Especially helpful to take to the beach or pools to munch on to hold you over until dinner time :)

Have fun!!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,237 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village - places to eat nearby?

There are ABC Stores in the area, but off the HHV site. There's a large one at Hobron and Ala Moana. ABC prices are cheaper off of the HHV compound. If you like Starbucks ... bring extra money! The ones at the HHV have super hiked prices. (And, alas, I paid them! The good thing is that - if you arrive early enough - the StarAdvertiser is free.)

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village - places to eat nearby?

Betty Lou,

They closed the ABC store at the HHV??? I am so bummed!

When did that happen and why?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,237 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village - places to eat nearby?

No -- I should have been clearer! Sorry! I'm sure that the ABC Store at the HHV is open ... because that puppy is a gold mine. My point, which I made poorly, is that there are also ABC Stores outside of the HHV compound (but close by) that are cheaper and some are considerably larger.

My bad!

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

This map cracks me up!

Edited: 30 August 2012, 20:14
new jersey
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village - places to eat nearby?

Oh what a relief... love that place!

I never really did price comparisons although I am certain that any of the ABC stores outside of a "hotel" would be cheaper.

Those stores are like magnets attracting me and calling my name! I will ALWAYS find something to buy... whether I really NEED it, is a different story.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,237 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village - places to eat nearby?

HawaiiGIrl ... I just like to go in and SMELL the ABC Stores. And I have lost my surfing Obama bobblehead and must replace it!

(Funny story: I was at the local supermarket here in town, and used my ABC totes for the groceries. The "bagger" laughed and said "you're the third person day who has brought those in." Great minds, I guess!)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
385 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village - places to eat nearby?

Thank you for all your replies, we are also staying at Embassy Suites for the 1st 7 nights in Oahu then off to Maui and Big Island. I just though it woule be a bit of fun for the kids to stay at the Hawaiian Village resort just for the last two nights. We leave early in the morning after the second night back to Melbourne. As I mentioned, with three kids no hotel will allow all in one rooom so to have two rooms is way too expensive. THe Hilton Hawaiian Village will allow all in one room so makes it relatively cheap, but that is as long as I don't have to pay for everything else.