We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big wave, little wave?

Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Big wave, little wave?

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about the surf at Waikiki, Kailua and the North Shore. I was wondering if there is a big change to the surf depending on the time of the year? I have only ever been to the Islands in Dec/Jan but will travelling in March and I don't know what to expect.I am not a strong swimmer, so gentle waves is what I am looking for. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big wave, little wave?

there is very strong surf on the North and sometimes west shores in the winter months. March is kind of sort of when the surf starts to die down, but that can change at any moment in the early spring.

You would probably be ok for Kailua and Waikiki. When you get to Oahu, just tune into the daily surf reports.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big wave, little wave?

Thanks for that, flippr5657.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big wave, little wave?

In GENERAL ( I emphasize this simply because no one can really predict the weather or the surf that far in advance):

Winter, approximately mid-November through mid-March, north shore is high, south shore (Waikiki) is flat, Kailua depends on the wind

Spring, mid-March through mid-June, north shore is moderate, south shore is moderate, Kailua depends on the wind

Summer, mid-June through mid-September, north shore is flat, south shore is high, Kailua depends on the wind

Fall, mid-September, north shore is moderate, south shore is moderate, Kailua depends on the wind

Both the north & south shores are effected by storms happening either in Alaska or the south Pacific. You can get a long spell of calm surf and then a spike in the wave heights because of the energy being spun off from some storm thousands of miles away. Fortunately, its rare to have it high on both sides so you can almost always find a calm place to swim.

Kailua is a slightly different animal - there are reefs far from shore that break down most of the surf but because the bay is so large, winds can make the water choppy & rough. A good indicator of how calm the water will be at this beach is to check the wind speed forecast - there are several windsurfing web sites that provide this information for free (no subscription is needed).

Mentioned in this post
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big wave, little wave?

Thanks for taking the time give such a great detailed reply. That information is really helpful and I will certainly check out the wind speed forecast. I didn't understand that about Kailua. It is my favorite place to be and it is great to know that when we go won't have an impact on visiting there. In terms of wind speed and it's effect on the ocean at Kailua, what do you consider to be moderate to strong? Mahalo

Mentioned in this post
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big wave, little wave?

Gentle = Waikiki and Hanauma....!!...

6. Re: Big wave, little wave?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 10:17