We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best kids hotel in waikiki?

Montreal
Level Contributor
68 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Best kids hotel in waikiki?

Hello, which is the best (beachfront) hotel or resort in Waikiki with a 6 year old? I am looking for direct beach access and a waterpark as well as maybe other entertainments for children.

To top it off, it should also be nice for adults, with either nice restaurants or in walking distance to a good choice of places. ( Sorry we love to eat)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,026 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best kids hotel in waikiki?

No waterparks.

If you want a great kids' pool - stay at the Royal Hawaiian or the Sheraton Maui. They share one.

sheraton-waikiki.com/property/…helumoa

Both the Sheraton and the Royal Hawaiian have kid-free (adult) pools as well.

Easy access (and I mean EASY) to restaurants and shops. Excellent location!

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

Scroll down for aerial views. The commentary ... eh!

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best kids hotel in waikiki?

BLBL meant to say the Sheraton Waikiki. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is another suggestion as they have penquins & turtles as well as exotic birds on their grounds. The Hilton has the best beach in my opinion and is close to the mall if that appeals to you.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,400 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best kids hotel in waikiki?

Stay at the Royal Hawaiian, your "be nice for adults, with either nice restaurants or in walking distance to a good choice of places" kind of disqualifies the Hilton Hawaiian VIllage.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,026 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best kids hotel in waikiki?

<<BLBL meant to say the Sheraton Waikiki.>>

Thanks, Informedone!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,016 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best kids hotel in waikiki?

Hilton Hawaiian Village gets my vote.

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best kids hotel in waikiki?

Royal Hawaiian by a mile. Hilton Hawaiian is too crowded, lacks service and is expensive for anything you do on-site.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best kids hotel in waikiki?

With kids, I would pick HHV. The pool has slides which he/she will love. YOU would love the RH more. Your child will love the HHV more...and you will still enjoy it. scottca (an infamous HHV hater...lol) does make a good point about distance to an abundance of restaurants. No problem for adults, as it's just not that long of a walk; however, a 6 year old may get tired of it.

The comment about the HHV being expensive on site is a little silly, as you could say this about any hotel on the beach.

Edited: 31 August 2012, 18:48
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,400 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best kids hotel in waikiki?

>>>The comment about the HHV being expensive on site is a little silly, as you could say this about any hotel on the beach.<<<

The difference of course being that you can step outside any of the other hotels to a wide variety of options. You have very limited options at the HHV. If you figure the Royal Hawaiian Center is on property at the Royal Hawaiian then you have lots of reasonable options.

I also guarantee you that your 6 year old would love the Royal Hawaiian shared pool and not notice as big a difference between there and the HHV as you as adults would notice the difference in service and ambiance.

I loved the HHV four towers ago before they tore up the grounds to build new towers, tore down the Waikikian to build more towers, tore out the luau grounds to build a stack parking lot and tore out the geodesic dome to build a ...... wait for it..... wait for it..... to build another tower.

The 17th largest hotel in the world is just not relaxing.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,026 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best kids hotel in waikiki?

I "second" Scott's comments. There was a time when the HHV was a bit "villagey" and peaceful and ... nice. Now it's towers, towers, towers crunched together. Lots of shadows ... not much sun. Greed got the best of them ... and will probably bite them at some point.

Nice beach though.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best kids hotel in waikiki?

For Betty Lou and scott....if you like the old low rises, you guys must despise the Halekulani, no? The old cottages were much more relaxing.

I like the RH more than the HHV personally; however, I think kids, even a 6 year old, would prefer the HHV. Saying a child won't remember the difference is a moot point. It's the enjoyment they get at the time that is fun for a parent to see.

That all said, the OP will enjoy either one.