We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Waikiki Hotel for a romantic stay?

Europe
Level Contributor
35 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Best Waikiki Hotel for a romantic stay?

Hi,

I have been reading a lot about hotels in Waikiki Beach, but cannot make my mind on which one would be the most suitable for us.

We are a couple in our early 30' (from Europe), no kids, and no restricted budget (up to a limit of course).

We ideally look for something romantic by the beach, with a nice pool, but with not too much family/kids.

I looked on the tripadvisor site and pinned down Halekulani, The Royal Hawaiian and Moana Surfrider.

Could anyone suggest which hotel will suit our rquirements? We will stay 5 nights in March 2013.

Thank you in advance!

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Waikiki Hotel for a romantic stay?

You wouldn't go wrong with any of those three. My bias would be toward RH. Its classic architecture and its history are palpable. My pick would be staying in the historic section of the hotel.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Waikiki Hotel for a romantic stay?

Halekulani by a wide margin. It is the most elegant hotel on the beach, has the best service and doesn't get a lot of tourist traffic in the hotel like the RH and Moana do.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
755 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Waikiki Hotel for a romantic stay?

Alittle outside of Waikiki but they do run shuttles all day long. My pick would be The Kahala. The beach is almost like a private beach never a lot of people. Might be the best hotel on the island. JMO

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Waikiki Hotel for a romantic stay?

Royal Hawaiian would be my #1 for their grounds and architecture and I love their rooms! Halekulani would be #2 for me - great food ... which you have public access to anyway.

Then Kahala if you are willing to shuttle back and forth to Waikiki when you want. I agree - much less crowded.

The Moana Surfrider is a beautiful structure, but you will only want a room in the tower. Not much of a pool. The grounds feel very crunched. Do go visit them at least!

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

Scroll down to see the aerial views of the Waikiki hotels.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

Here's the Kahala.

I generally disregard the reviews ....

Edited: 01 September 2012, 16:36
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Waikiki Hotel for a romantic stay?

Halekulani, RH, Moana...in that order. Kahala is nice, but only if you are adamant about staying outside of Waikiki.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,950 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Waikiki Hotel for a romantic stay?

Halekulani is the best for service, the rooms, public spaces and solitude. I like the Royal and Moana, but they really can't compare. The Kahala is a great place, but if I was a first time visitor to Oahu I wouldn't want to stay outside of Waikiki.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Waikiki Hotel for a romantic stay?

Royal Hawaiian, Halekulani ... in that order. (Moana Surfrider is lovely but, to me, not as romantic as the other two.)

Halekulani is the highest-rated hotel in Waikiki. But the Royal Hawaiian grounds, decor, and landscaping give it a unique charm that I consider very romantic. Royal Hawaiian feels like it's in the middle of a secluded green oasis, which no other hotel in Waikiki does.

RH has a small pool which discourages some families with kids from staying there. Those who do often bring the kids to the much larger pool at the Sheraton next door. The result seems to be fewer kids overall in the Royal Hawaiian public areas.

For the most luxurious stay, it would be Halekulani. But for the most romantic, it's Royal Hawaiian.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Waikiki Hotel for a romantic stay?

All of these suggestions are winners. A dear friend stayed at the Halekulani for his honeymoon and loved it.

California
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Waikiki Hotel for a romantic stay?

i personally would stay at the royal hawaiian. you can go to he busy Waikiki street for eating and to be in the crowd. But the minute you want back to the RH and hit the grove, you feel like you are in a secluded area tiki torches everywhere. you can sit in the rocking chair and just relax and couldn't hear the sound from the main street or you can go to the back and look at the ocean and have a mai tai at the ma tai bar. it feels so secluded even though you are in the middle of waikiki,.

we stayed at the moana surfrider for our honeymoon. it was nice but noisy and you can hear everything. halekulani is quieter than moana but the grounds are not as big as the RH so less secluded feeling than RH.

Edited: 02 September 2012, 04:00
Seattle
Level Contributor
43,682 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Waikiki Hotel for a romantic stay?

You've definitely got the best 3 named. No contest. I think Halekulani and Royal Hawaiian ties for first place for different reasons as mentioned already

Moana Surrider definitely third place. But it's lovely too, go there for lunch or drinks in the courtyard under the banyan tree sometime.