We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel is best for me?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
67 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel is best for me?

My husband, parents, and I (62, 59, 31, 28) are going to Waikiki in Oct. I need to book a hotel tomorrow, but I am completely torn. I know no one can make this decision for me, but I thought I'd see what eveyone's input is. We want as pretty of a beach as we can get in Waikiki, but if we could get a pretty beach and less crowd.....that would be great too. I had at one point decided to book the Outrigger until I read mixed reviews on this beach's beauty compared to the other areas in Waikiki and that the beach was rough. We plan on seeing everything else that is possible to see also and rent a car for a few days. Here is what we have narrowed it down to. There is only about $600 total difference(for the 4 of us for all 7 nights) from the most expensive to the least expensive (they are in order of lowest price to highest price).

Hilton Hawaiin Village in 2 partial ocean view rooms.

Outrigger reef on the beach in 2 partial ocean view rooms

The Royal Hawaiin in 2 garden view rooms

Otani Kaimana in 2 ocean front suites

Moana Surfrider Westin in 2 Banyan rooms.

We also considered the Kahala, but I just can't bring myself to pay the extra $1000 unless it's just that amazing.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you all for your time!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel is best for me?

I have only stayed at the Outrigger Reef. It is a nice hotel, but the beach there is very rocky, maybe it's shells, I'm not sure. Either way, that part of the beach hurts my feet. I'm sure others can give you a better opinion, but based on things I have read here about the HHV, that is a huge hotel that will be full of kids. I'm not sure if that is what you have in mind.

Have you looked at the Outrigger Waikiki? It's next door to the Surfrider.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel is best for me?

Out of the hotels you have here, I would choose the Royal Hawaiian .. there is just something about that beautiful old pink palace that draws people to it. I couldn't afford to stay there myself, but I always walk around the grounds and through the hotel as it's just awesome, and dream when I win that lottery, I'll be back in their top suite!

Moana Surfrider would be my second choice .. and yes the Hilton has lots of little ones staying there because of the pools.... plus it's just a bit further away from all those lovely restaurants around Waikiki.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,372 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel is best for me?

Outrigger Reef

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel is best for me?

Out of the hotels you mention, the RH is by far the nicest (excluding the Kahala). If fewer crowds are super important, however, the Otani is a possibility. That area will have significantly fewer people...but the hotel is not nearly as nice as the RH. I'm a fan of the HHV for families with younger kids, but that's not you...lots of kids and crowds.

My vote goes for the RH.

Edited: 03 September 2012, 14:42
Dallas
Level Contributor
21,062 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel is best for me?

Yep, of the hotels on your list, definitley the Royal Hawaiian.

We go in October and never really have a problem with crowds.

Be sure to go look at the Moana, the Hyatt and go down to Waikiki Beach area.

Rent a car for at least one day and take a circle island drive and see all the rest of the island. It is beautiful.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel is best for me?

***The Royal Hawaiian*** #1 of your list. It's a hotel like no other. The garden view rooms ... they are so comfortable. Ask for an upper floor. Excellent location, yet set off from the main boulevard.

#2 - Otani Kaimana in 2 ocean front suites. This is worth your consideration. I don't think they have a pool, and they are down closer to Diamond Head - so maybe a ten minute walk (beautiful!) to the Heart of Waikiki. Hau Tree Lanai - their restaurant ... wonderful.

#3 - Outrigger Reef - nice hotel with excellent location. I would not pay extra for a partial ocean view rooms ... as you may not see much ocean at all.

#4 - Moana Surfrider - I would only take a tower room at this hotel. Banyan rooms are very small and noisy. Definitely go into the building and look around.

# 5 - Hilton Hawaiin Village - Kid magnet and designed for large - groups and crowds. Not the best location.

I would not pay the extra $ for Kahala with all these good options. Also, I would not worry about the beach at all. It is it not to your liking - walk a few yards! And get out and about the island for some gorgeous beaches.

BTW - there has been a major sand restoration job on a stretch of Waikiki ... possibly some of the reviews were before this work was done.

Edited: 03 September 2012, 16:00
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel is best for me?

The Outrigger would be fine.

Royal Hawaiian is historic and recently renovated. Even if you don't book there, go see it.

(Might you havebeen looking at the *Residents of Hawaii* rate for the New Otani?) I like this place very much. No pool, but nice beach and a quieter location on the 'edge' of Waikiki.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel is best for me?

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

Great aerials - although some may be before the beach restoration propject. Their commentary? Take it or leave it!

discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel is best for me?

If I was making the choice and based on what you're looking for (less crowded, nice beach etc.) I would choose the New Otani. It's at the far end of the hotel row area and has a quiet, beautiful beach, very close to Diamond Head.

It's about a 10 minute walk to all the shops, near the zoo, aquarium etc. The restaurant location is practically on the sand, and the food was good last time I was there.

I also think beach front is much more desirable than the partial ocean view choices. Some hotels will offer just a peek of the ocean.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel is best for me?

Royal Hawaiian or Outrigger Reef.

New Otani is nice but it does not have a pool and it located further from the central area (may or may not matter to you).

As far as the beach, it's easy enough to stroll the entire length of Waikiki to find an area that appeals to you. Personally I like the stretches in front of the parks at either end (Fort de Russy or Kapiolani).

aloha suze