We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - confused

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay - confused

We are two couples from Aust (mid 40's ) wanting to stay in Waikiki - Our travel agent has recommended 1. The Embassy 2. The Hilton Hawaii or The Sheraton. We are looking for a nice hotel with a nice pool and surround. I am aware that most of the pools are average as you have the beach, but sometimes its nice to relax around a pool for an hour or so. We have ten nights and I think looking to pay around $3000 - $3500. Hopefully a partial or ocean view with a balcony to sit out on and look at the water with a wine or two.. I am leaning towards the Embassy with free brekky and afternoon cocktails ( not sure about the closeness to the water ) but the lure of the Hiltons lagoon and Sheraton pool is appealling also not sure how close to the water views So many choices... Any suggestions from the expects ??

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay - confused

The Hilton Hawaiian Hotel is just that bit further walk away from the shopping and restaurants of Waikiki .... and is popular with families because they have good pools for kids ... although you can walk to Waikiki, and walk to the Ala Moana Shopping Center.

The Embassy Suites has large rooms and is good value, but not on the beach.

The Sheraton is right on the beach, with nice views over Waikiki beach from a lot of rooms ... some higher up have views to Diamond Head .. have a look at their website below for the room plans and views describing what views you get. I have friends who are currently there with a deluxe ocean view room, and the views are of Diamond Head .. and they sent me a pix which looks great.

Click on this website .. and click for room types and you will see the building come into colour where those floors are located.

sheraton-waikiki.com/roomsandsuites/roomtypes

Also have a look at the Outrigger Waikiki, Outrigger Reef and the Moana ... all with views and on the beach and maybe cheaper than the Sheraton.

Here's a map with locations of hotels in Waikiki, which may help you.

discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html#

Have you been to Hawaii before? If not, I would suggest a few days on another island, ie Maui ... for say 4 or 5 nights, and return to Oahu .. although if you haven't been before, you can certainly fill up your 10 days ... or maybe stay up on the north shore for the first few days at Turtle Bay Resort .. and see the sights up that way. Turtle Bay Resort was the hotel used in the filming of Forgetting Sarah Marshall ... (dreadful movie, but great scenery).

Here's some websites for what you can see and do on north shore.

http://www.turtlebayresort.com/

http://www.dole-plantation.com/

http://www.polynesia.com/luau.html

http://www.haleiwajoes.com/

http://www.northshoresurfbus.com/

http://www.gonorthshore.org/

Plus there are some shrimp trucks around the north shore which you could try as well ...

You can pickup a hire car at Honolulu Airport and drive up there yourself, via Dole Pineapple ... as you will need a car up there .. and then drive back down the windward coast, stopping to see the beautiful Byodo Temple on the way back. Drop off the luggage at the hotel, then return the hire car.

http://www.byodo-in.com/

Enjoy!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay - confused

discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html#

Eaglemaniac - That map is great! How is discounthotelshawaii as a booking agent?

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay - confused

I would book either of the Outriggers (Waikiki Beach and Reef), Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider and Hyatt Regency before I booked any of the other three.

At the Hilton, it would depend entirely on which tower they are talking about booking you into. There are good and bad towers among the 7 on the property.

The Embassy Suites would be my pick over the Sheraton and most of the towers at the Hilton.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,935 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay - confused

Honestly, I would scrap all of the recommendations from your travel agent. The must have never been to Waikiki.

I would recommend that you consider, and in this order of priority, The Royal Hawaiian, The Moana Surfrider (but only a room in the tower), The Outrigger Waikiki, and last the Hyatt Regency (even though it is across the street from the beach.)

These are the best location hotels on Waikiki as far as I am concerned. The Royal Hawaiian and the Moana are the "classic" Hawaiian hotels and both are great places to stay.

The Outrigger Waikiki is located between the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana and you can probably get a nicer view for your money there and it has just finished a complete renovation. I have stayed there many, many times and will be staying there again in October.

Have a great trip and find a new travel agent !! LOL

Aloha

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay - confused

The Hilton Hawaiian Village is my favorite four-star in Hawaii and one of my favorite places on earth.

The grounds, pools, and public areas there are spectacular. It has, arguably, the best pools in Waikiki. And it's on the widest, least-crowded swath of Waikiki Beach. (That lagoon, by the way, isn't as great or as inviting as it looks in pictures.)

Embassy Suites is crammed in tight in the middle of a city block. Sheraton, while "on the beach," doesn't actually have a beach: The sand stops there then resumes at the property on either side.

Outrigger Reef's pool is hemmed in by walls/structures on all four sides: You can't see the ocean from its pool at all. And both Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki are long slivers of building crammed in between other buildings that give you no view of the sky or ocean from most places on the property.

The thing I love most about Hilton Hawaiian Village is that its expansive grounds offer spectacular views of the blue pools, the blue ocean, and a huge blue sky. Plus it has lots of gorgeous, lush landscaping, unlike Embassy Suites.

If you stay in the Ali'i Tower at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, you get to use -- in addition to the other resort pools -- your own private (possibly adults-only) rooftop pool and hot tub right in your building. Plus I believe they have free afternoon hors d'oeuvres (pupu) and separate concierge-style check-in. If you stay in the Kalia Tower, you also have an addition designated rooftop pool and hot tub (though they're not exclusive to guests of that tower, people in the other towers don't really seem to know about them). Plus Kalia puts you a little closer to the center of Waikiki.

HIlton Hawaiian Village's rooms, though spacious, are nothing special. And I don't like that it's a about a five-minute farther walk from Waikiki shops and restaurants. But those drawbacks are worth it to me to be on those spectacular grounds. For a pool lover, it's a great choice.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,933 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay - confused

Just depends what's important to you. Embassy Suites is not far from the beach, but definitely not ON the beach. It's on a regular city street (I've only seen it from the outside).

I'm not sure why your TA picked those 3 in particular. For beach front I'd recommend the Outrigger Reef over your other choices myself. suze

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,404 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay - confused

The grounds at the Hilton Hawaiian Village were spectacular 20 years ago, now they are just crowded. The HHV is a Las Vegas sized resort. It is the 17th largest hotel in the world. It is crowded in all the public areas including the pools.

Depending on timing, the Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider and Hyatt Regency would be the be in your budget range and are very nice hotels. I like the Royal's grounds much better than HHV's.

I also think the nicest pool in Waikiki is the Halekulani's. It is big, but doesn't have distractions or annoyances like slides. It is just a nice relaxing area with great service.

The Embassy Suites is an okay place, I like their pool deck but it isn't on the beach like most of the others mentioned.

If you can't find what you want price wise from the Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider and Hyatt Regency, I think the Outrigger Reef & WB are very good hotels for the price.

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay - confused

The HHV Ali'i tower no longer has the complimentary hors d'oeuvers in the afternoon, so don't let that influence your decision.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay - confused

Scott: Yes, HHV is crowded. But it often seems less crowded than other places in Waikiki. For example, at Royal Hawaiian, Hyatt, and Moana Surfrider I've had trouble finding a place by the pool. But I always find available loungers by a pool at HHV.

melb australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay - confused

Thank you so much for the information, we have 10 days in Waikiki are happy to be in a hotel that is within walking distance - but looking for a nice hotels with the water views - there are so many choices available - then we are off on a 29 night Cruise around the Hawaiian Islands to Tahiti returning back to Sydney Aus..