We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do single people 55+ socialize in Honolulu

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Topic
Where do single people 55+ socialize in Honolulu

I'm returning again soon for a month but so far I haven't found any place where those 55+ can share a couple of laughs, unwind and not feel "out of place" by the younger generation. I prefer the local scene where one can feel comfortable and safe.

Any suggestions???

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,408 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do single people 55+ socialize in Honolulu

Aloha,

Check out Rumours at the Ala Moana Hotel, next to the Ala Moana Center.

Fri.--5pm to 4am

Sat--9pm to 4am

www.yelp.com/biz/rumours-nightclub-honolulu

Lots of locals in like a disco type of setting

The local scene is outside of Waikiki.

Have a great time,

Aloha

Edited: 07 September 2012, 02:57
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do single people 55+ socialize in Honolulu

Rumors, OMG, I ended up meeting friends there about 2 weeks ago when I was in town. I think it may be good for 55+.

IMO the place was fun, but it looks like it hasn't changed since the '70s. The crowd loved dancing and everyone in the place seemed to have a good time.

There were a lot of mature single women. The hotel is a haven for flight attendants from Delta and a few other airlines. We talked with some who were there to dance and mingle.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a man in polyester pants and tight fitting shirt with a necklace dangling on his non-man-scaped chest hanging at the bar. John Travolta in his famous white suit and disco pose would be in place on most nights.

Rumors, may be the fun place your looking for to meet and mingle. The music was loud so talking is a task.

Check on the times when you can get in without paying a cover charge.

I showed up to meet my friends in shorts and ended up having to run to Niemans to get a pair of pants to adhere to the dress code.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do single people 55+ socialize in Honolulu

That does it: I HAVE to see that. Any chance that, instead of paying a cover, I can just buy a ticket to the show?

Thanks for the smile, Epicurean.

: )

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,237 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do single people 55+ socialize in Honolulu

The answer is "everywhere"....

Withe the exception of a few clubs you wouldn't enjoy anyway,

The Honolulu social scene is not age-sensitive in the least.

You will see folks of all ages at most every event, bar and party.

Like tonight. "First Friday" a monthly celebration in Chinatown. The place will be hopping all-night, with all types of music and pleasant mingling in joints from EMD clubs to dive bars.

In Waikiki, and it's scores of bars, everyone is your friend and open to chat. Lots of us enjoy heading down there to party with our visitors.

Overall, I'd say us middle-aged Honoluluans enjoy a much broader and active social lives than in other US cities. There is no end to opportunities.

What kind of place are you looking for, what vibe or music?

From places you want to burn your clothes after leaving, to upscale wine bars, there is something for most every taste.

If you are here for a month, I would highly, highly recommend you go to the Museum of Art "Art After Dark" party on the last Friday of each month.

Wonderful facility, multiple music stages (last week the feature band was 60s classic), great crowd, inexpensive drinks. Incredible gathering that is getting more popular every month with all adult ages.

You'd meet a ton of nice people there, and you can walk through the galleries.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do single people 55+ socialize in Honolulu

I'm not specifically looking to socialize, but I go out solo most evenings. Have drinks at sunset at one of the beach bars. People are friendly and often start a conversation. I've never experienced places being skewed to the 'younger generation'. Where were you that you felt that?

aloha suze

New Jersey
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do single people 55+ socialize in Honolulu

This is my third month's stay since December and I wouldn't feel safe alone in Chinatown. Thirty-five years ago Chinatown was different.

Where is the Museum of Art located? This seems to appeal to me.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do single people 55+ socialize in Honolulu

Suze2you -- Just walk down Kalakaua or go to Shirokiya for a drink.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do single people 55+ socialize in Honolulu

Amberloo -- Never mind. Got directions on line and can take the bus.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do single people 55+ socialize in Honolulu

I'm in my 60's.

Never felt out of place at Moose McGillycuddy's

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do single people 55+ socialize in Honolulu

Thank you for the clarification But I've certainly never felt out of my age bracket just walking down Kalakaua?! If 'Shirokiya' skews so young go somewhere else. I'm just saying as a general observation I've never felt out of place as a 50-something wandering around, eating or drinking, anywhere I've been in Waikiki. suze