We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island hopping

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Island hopping

So excited! I'm heading back to Honolulu next Sep/Oct (2013) for 10 nights and would love to island hop. I've been to Honolulu 4 times already but never been to another island.

So, which island/s do you recommend? Definitely want to see a volcano this time around.

Which airline would I be looking at?

How long do you think I should spend in Honolulu and the other island/s?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
709 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island hopping

We spent 6 nights honolulu and 7 nights Kauai - Kauai is like Oahu in the 50s. No night life but packed full of adventure during the day and you are ready for an early bed each night. Beautiful unspoilt beaches and great restaurants. Enjoy. We used Hawaiian Airlines.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,352 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island hopping

With 10 nights you really only have time to do 2 islands unless you fly out of Honolulu right away. "Island hopping" is something of a misnomer, as you have to go through the whole security and being early for the plane each time.

You want Hawaiian Airlines, hands down. Best schedule and safety and on-time records.

The only active volcano is on the Big Island of Hawai`i. Haleakala, on Maui, is dormant but still spectacular.

You've been 4 times to Honolulu, but have you explored the rest of the island?

Do you have other wants for this trip?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island hopping

Yes done a circle tour of the island on 2 occasions (once on bus, another hired a car) but that wasn't really in depth due to time constraints.

Was maybe thinking 5 night Oahu and 5 nights on whichever island.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island hopping

If you want to stay only 5 nights on another island, I'd look at Kauai or Maui. The Big Island really requires more nights to get a taste of both sides of the island because it is so large (I would say 7 nights minimum). BI is the only island with an active volcano though. Also be aware that you are not guaranteed to see lava flows, of course conditions might change by next year. I still thought seeing the volcano was cool even though there were no lava flows when I went, but I think some people expect it to be more like they see on a movie and are disappointed. I would do some reading on Volcanoes National Park so you have somewhat of an idea of what to expect, if you were to choose the BI to see the volcano.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island hopping

Well the Big Island is the only choice is the volcano is a must. But I don't really get the attraction or consider that a must-do.

Personally I'd pick either Kauai or Maui for your other 5 days myself.

suze

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island hopping

Big Island experts in here usually recommend you dedicate a good chunk of time to the Big Island because it's so, you know -- big.

And, yes, this is the only place to go to see an active volcano (though, as has been said, there's a very good chance you won't see any flowing lava.)

The Big Island has several regions: the Kohala Coast, north of Kona, is the area with one of my favorite beaches in the world: Hapuna. The Kona area is the busiest/most developed tourist area with pedestrian friendly shops and restaurants. Hilo, on the opposite side, is very rainy and is more residential than touristy. Then, south of Hilo, is the enormous volcanoes park, which is pretty cool even when lava isn't flowing.

If I were you I would do either five nights Oahu, five nights Big Island. Or possibly four nights Oahu, six nights Big Island. I would stay at the Hapuna Beach Prince to get in my beach time, then I would do some snorkeling, the short Akaka Falls hike, stop by a black sand beach, and do Volcanoes National Park. On my one trip there I also enjoyed driving halfway up Mauna Kea to an astronomy outpost/observatory halfway up for some guided star gazing (BTW: it's cold up there!).

That's sort of a whirlwind tour of Big Island that experts might call too cursory. But it would be plenty good enough for me.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island hopping

Why any nights on Oahu? You could do BI and either Kauai or Mai. You have been to Oahu before.

We are headed to Hawaii soon. week on BI. advice we have gotten is only way to see active volcano now is long hike, or by helicopter, but sure could change by time you get there.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island hopping

10 nights? Sure, see another island. Maui or Kauai would be a good fit. "Hop?" Purge that word from your memory. No more hopping (and from what I hear, hopping used to be fun and easy!). Your airline tickets will be specific to your flight and the airport process will be the same hassle as anywhere else.

You can day-trip to Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island, flying from Honolulu to Hilo isn't a challenge. You can take a tour that includes everything or just fly there in the early morning, rent a car (reserved) and see the sights!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island hopping

Vanessa - You'll need a car on that second island ...

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,377 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island hopping

Exactly what I was thinking BLBL - are you willing to drive a car on another island because only Oahu has regular/reliable public transport - the other islands really require a car - something you need to take into consideration. :)