We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting mixed answers on the weather

los angeles
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Topic
getting mixed answers on the weather

Hi All!

I'm planning a trip with my girlfriend Nov 15th-19th. But I read somewhere that the rainy season is Nov-Mar.

Is that true? And what does that really mean as I'm sure it rains quite often year round (hence the green).

A friend who takes yearly trips advises against it but I read here on TA that peak season is November-December.

Can someone break it down for me pleeeease? It would help out so much.

:-)

Confused in California

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,065 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting mixed answers on the weather

It depends on where you go. Honolulu, south Maui, Kona and Po`ipu are all on the drier, sunnier sides of the islands. If you head north and/or east, you're likely to run into rain.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,227 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting mixed answers on the weather

You posted on the Honolulu forum, so we'll assume that's where you will be staying. Should be fine *there*, but north shore Oahu will be hosting some surfing championships! Ocean conditions are best off the southern shores of all the islands in winter; reverse in summer.

If you want 'nightlife', that's Honolulu -- and there is 'some' in the Kaanapali/Lahaina area of Maui.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,933 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting mixed answers on the weather

Well this is not proof of anything, but I've been in Waikiki twice in early November and had fabulous weather, no rain.

You just never know though, a big storm could come thru. Or smattering of showers. I've been in various months and always have fantastic weather, sometimes with a couple rain showers (downpours) that pass quickly by.

suze

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,404 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting mixed answers on the weather

>>>But I read somewhere that the rainy season is Nov-Mar......

A friend who takes yearly trips advises against it but I read here on TA that peak season is November-December.<<<

Both things can be true. It is rainier, but it is relative to where you are and just because it is the "rainy season" doesn't, mean you'll get rain. Thanksgiving and Christmas vacation times are very popular for families, but the first week in Dec can be pretty quiet. See the chart below.

prh.noaa.gov/hnl/climate/PHNL_rainfall.php

los angeles
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: getting mixed answers on the weather

Thanks guys!

Yes, we'll be staying in in Waikiki and I understand that the chances are greater for rain but I also know that people go during these times to escape the cold.

I don't mind a quick downpour as I've done caribbean in the past. It'll rain for an hour and stop then sun comes out smiling again.

Is that usually what it's like or is it a torrential downpour?

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting mixed answers on the weather

Compared to Hawaii, the Caribbean is the place with torrential downpours.

In Hawaii, it's usually just light sprinkling showers. And those can and do happen any time of year. Some Hawaiians call them "little blessings" because they're pleasant little breaks in the weather.

November offers perhaps a 90-plus percent chance of fantastic weather in Waikiki-- lots of sun punctuated with some clouds and occasional brief showers. That "rainy season" business just means there's a slightly increased likelihood of a storm system creating unusual weather: several days in a row of gloom. But the odds are strongly in your favor.

I bet it will be beautiful for most of your trip!

los angeles
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: getting mixed answers on the weather

Thanks Beacheeme!

This is my first time going and I haven't bought the package yet. The rain issue came up and I got jittery.

I know it's probably not likely that it'll be a gloomy five days but it would absolutely suck if a storm system came through.

Thanks for the reply!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting mixed answers on the weather

You're from LA. Ahh... rain is "an event" for you. (I'm from LA, so I understand.) Don't sweat it. It may be spritzy in the early morning or evening ... that's about it. Storms are possible in November, but I have never seen one - and I have been in Honolulu several Novembers.

Here are the averages: weather.com/weather/…USHI0026

Weather Channel is good for the big picture, but rotten on the day to day. For that you want: www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/oahu.php…

No worries, OK?

(As mentioned above, Thanksgiving Week is very popular for family vacations. You'll find higher prices and less availability. If you want a car - and you will - reserve it as early as you can.)

Edited: 25 September 2012, 17:12
los angeles
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: getting mixed answers on the weather

Hahaa, yes, sir.

No worries, here. Hakuna matata.

But...can I send my gf your way in the off chance that it does rain?

Hahaha, thanks for the thorough reply.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting mixed answers on the weather

<<But...can I send my gf your way in the off chance that it does rain?>> Charm her with stories of rainbows.

The clouds hang over the higher elevations ... and when the rain does sweep over the town, it's usually very light and refreshing. And the rainbows are amazing.