We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the locals ready to go back in the water ? (Waikiki...

Newbridge, Ireland
Level Contributor
223 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Are the locals ready to go back in the water ? (Waikiki...

It seems the answer is a resounding 'No'.

I have been following this poll on one of the local newspapers - it ran for one week in one of Oahu's papers and the final result is:

80% No

20% Yes

See it here:

http://starbulletin.com/poll/

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the locals ready to go back in the water ? (Waikiki...

In the same paper though there is a story about bacteria levels in the sand stateing that while some levels were higher at Kailua and Ala Wai and a part of Waikiki they had no mark to measure against. They also go on to state that a middle school group of kids doing a project had performed a test on the sand prior to the sewage spill and found higher levels at surprise the same places as the latest tests.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the locals ready to go back in the water ? (Waikiki...

A. With only 283 responses out of a resident community of 880,000 persons (a return rate of only 0.03%), any resulting indicator is not statistically valid.

B. Given more than 60% of the resident population rarely (if ever) goes in the ocean, the change from the status quo is not that great.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the locals ready to go back in the water ? (Waikiki...

I also felt that the longterm ramifications from the state opening the beaches to soon as opposed to disrupting some vacations illogical. Given the fact that yes it was two of the most popular beaches it wasn't all of them on Oahu. I would say practice common sense which seems to be pretty limited these days. If you have an open wound you should try and keep it covered are stay out of the water but that is anytime anywhere. We'll be on Oahu in a week and probably on Waikiki Beach at least one day.

Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the locals ready to go back in the water ? (Waikiki...

I am back in the water and having a great time!

knb
colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the locals ready to go back in the water ? (Waikiki...

I was in Waikiki a few days after the first sewage spill. While there were" no swimming" signs on the beaches for a few days, those signs did come down even though one television station reported it could be a few months before it would be safe to enter the ocean. They did have one death reported a well as others reporting illness after swimming in the Waikiki beaches. One wonders after suffering 47 days of straight rain and than having not one sewage spill, but two - how much more could Waikiki tourism take?

Newbridge, Ireland
Level Contributor
223 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the locals ready to go back in the water ? (Waikiki...

er, no, Peter - you are far too busy protesting on here about how safe the bacteria-ridden water and sand is to be 'enjoying the water'.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
711 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the locals ready to go back in the water ? (Waikiki...

LOL!

You got it, Emeralds.

You know, I DID think it was rather strange.

As I recall, Mr. Pete claims to commute daily from Lanikai, a very small community where the beach is within walking distance from almost every house. Even if you tire of Lanikai Beach, Kailua Beach is right next to it.

From Lanikai, you could hop on a bike and be there in 10 minutes.

...yet he apparently packed-up the entire family and took them on a 30 minute drive over the Pali to go all the way out to crowded Waikiki Beach?

Interesting!

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the locals ready to go back in the water ? (Waikiki...

Hmmm furnitureman has always been right on with his predictions so maybe this peterkailua thing is right, after all why would anyone want to go to waikiki, maybe he lives in montana.

Lets review the ACTUAL facts

Two different testing agencies cleared the waters of waikiki within a week of the spill

A very pro earth type organization has tested the sand and could find nothing wrong with the sand, in fact the closest waikiki beach to the spill at the Hilton had the cleanest sand.

The drunk and the surfer who had bacteria attacks, were not in waikiki waters

The Treasure hunter who reported the infected foot has refused to disclose the results of the culture test, no doubt because it will ruin his upcoming lawsuit

This story is over, the good thing to come out of it is that I am sure the locals as well as the tourist industry are equally pissed off and will be all over the gov to fix the pipes. This is not a local problem to hawaii, there are several beach side cities with ancient wastewater systems, they will not do anything either until a disaster happens, thats the way things work today.

9. Re: Are the locals ready to go back in the water ? (Waikiki...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2006, 22:26
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the locals ready to go back in the water ? (Waikiki...

We're sorry, but this topic has wandered into non-travel-related subject matter, so we've closed it to any further posts. To continue this discussion, TripAdvisor invites you to use our Off-Topic forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i9659-Off_topic…

Please note that Off-topic Chatter is a forum for discussions gone afield from the topic of travel. Although non-travel-related topics are allowed, posts in the Off-topic forum must otherwise meet TripAdvisor's Forum guidelines:

tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…