We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airline Melbourne to Honolulu?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Best airline Melbourne to Honolulu?

Any suggestions as to smooth, comfortable reliable airline from Melbourne to Honolulu? Seeking: a modern fleet with regular reliable maintenance.

I won’t fly Jetstar, even though they fly directly. Too many poor experiences with them.

I was wondering about: Hawaiian Airlines, Air New Zealand (and I guess Qantas). Happy to hear about other airlines. I wish some other airline would fly direct from Melbourne, and give Jetstar a run for its money!

Performance is definitely more important to me than prie these days.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airline Melbourne to Honolulu?

Consider Melbourne to Sydney with Virgin Blue then Sydney to Honolulu with Hawaiian Airlines, as HI have a 2 check in baggage allowance, which VB will honour if on the same ticket.

If you fly Air NZ, you don't get into New Zealand until late in the evening (ie Monday night) and you won't depart until the following day (I think about 11am) and I don't think you arrive in HNL until late...but the bonus is that upon departing, the flight doesn't leave until 11pm at night (or thereabouts). But ANZ have a 1 check in baggage allowance.

I myself am looking at taking the VB/HI options when I go in September next year, unless Air NZ have good enough deals.

The luggage will be an issue with ANZ though, due to the amount of shopping. I can easily fill 2-3 suitcases LOL.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airline Melbourne to Honolulu?

I don't suppose Air NZ include the overnight accommodation in the airfare?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airline Melbourne to Honolulu?

I have travelled twice to Honolulu with Jetstar and had no problems what so ever. Will be using them again next year. I have only flown Hawaiian to Vegas and they were fine.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airline Melbourne to Honolulu?

With Jetstar, you arrive in HNL early (7am-ish) and leave early (around the same time).

No, ANZ do not provide accommodation...unless you want to rough it at the airport LOL.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airline Melbourne to Honolulu?

If you fly Hawaiian from Melbourne and will be doing some shopping, make sure you book your domestic and international flights on the same ticket.

We booked both flights through Virgin Australia (with Hawaiian codeshare) and therefore get 46kg (2 suitcases) each passenger for the entire journey. If we booked our domestic flight separately, we would only get 23kg for the Syd-Mel flights.

I understand that additional baggage can be selected on Jetstar for a charge, however when I booked my Virgin ticket, this increased the price to the same level. That said, Jetstar offer some great special deals every now and then.

I like trying new airlines so I thought I'd give Hawaiian a try, plus they provide "free" food and soft drink (not sure about alcohol) and some level of free entertainment. Also, the planes are apparently new Airbuses on the Syd-Hon route.

I've flown Jetstar to Japan a couple of years ago and had no issues. The only problem I had with Jetstar was their portable entertainment system which offered a limited selection that was the same on the return journey - I'd suggest bring an ipad or a good book!

Edited: 04 October 2012, 06:46
Bendigo
Level Contributor
901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airline Melbourne to Honolulu?

We travel to Hawaii every year and have just about 'done the lot'. You only have one choice Melb/Honolulu and that is Jetstar - others mean via NZ or the totally ghastly transferring at Sydney from domestic to International and that is simply too much on the return trip when you just want to get home. For what you want - book business class and that way which ever airline you fly it will be a bit better than economy... You really do get just what you pay for on airlines now -

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airline Melbourne to Honolulu?

JSK - some good advice here and for what it is worth, I concur with a lot of the other comments here by Vanessa and the Pea. The choice is still slim but I definitely wouldn't entertain the thought of going via NZ unless, of course, you intend having a stopover there - just tooooo long to get to Hawaii (when one is so impatient to just get there and enjoy it after thinking about it for so very long!).

Qantas seems to be a bit of a washout these days - way, way too inconsistent and i've heard a lot of things less appealing about Jetstar. Patti is right, flying isn't what it used to be and you do seem to get what you pay for but, as the Americans say, 'nickel and diming' your customers just seems like too hard work for me and I've never chosen Jetstar for that reason - what if I forget to pay for my meal, blanket, use of the loo etc????

That leaves Hawaiian who are at least consistent in their service and friendly to boot and no problems with their planes as far as I know. The aircraft seem to have got a bit of a facelift on the SYD?HNL route but I notice that they have more room between them which means that any idea of slipping a pillow between the seat headrests of you and your loved one for a quick nap is likely to end up with the said pillow slipping into the meal or lap of the person behind so it's best not to try or even have too personal a conversation!! Such a shame... and maybe the seats are a little narrower too (well, naturally, given the last comment on the space between seats - duh!!). However, Hawaiian do provide food (and gratefully appreciated, too, thanks!) and some alcohol (ditto thanks!) and the cabin staff are pleasant and attentive throughout the flight and are accessible if needed.

Of course an additional attraction to Hawaiian Airlines for many is the big prize - 2 x 32 kg of luggage allowance. It is this that has led so many of us to put up and shut up when it comes to having to transit through Sydney from another city/state - and I personally think it is worth it. I can see Patti's merits for flying business class and the comfort it would provide but I can also see those same holiday dollars going on longer lasting things like spending on memories during the vacation itself or stockpiling into those suitcases to take home and this is the measure I have opted for, like most. Business class to Europe I could understand from AUS but only 9 hours to Hawaii, no thanks, I'll gladly take the extra baggage and wear the inconvenience.

Besides, JSK, you should be as fit as a fiddle after your Hawaii vacation - enough to get you through a transit - a pain, yes, but until Hawaiian includes Melbourne as an AUS departing city it is what needs to be put up with, alas. Cheer up though, you're going to Hawaii and that is surely enough to take the pain away! Good luck with your decision..!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best airline Melbourne to Honolulu?

You can purchase an extra 23 kg's with Air NZ for $70.00 per person. So in affect you get a total of 46 kg's for an extra $70.00. Not to bad I think.

We are flying Air NZ from Melb to LA, then home from Hawaii and we had concerns about the luggage as we have always flown Qantas. However, Qantas were so much more expensive this time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best airline Melbourne to Honolulu?

I did a dummy booking a few weeks ago for MEL to SYD with Virgin and AVV (Avalon) to SYD with Jetstar. With the extra luggage allowanced tacked onto the Jetstar leg for the return home, it was cheaper to fly with Virgin by about $60.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best airline Melbourne to Honolulu?

HI,

We just got back from Hawaii last week and very glad we booked our flight with Hawaiian Airlines and Virgin on same ticket. We where a party of 9 people including 3 kids and we all went over with one piece of luggage each and because the shopping was so good over there they all came back with 2 bags each including the kids and because the Virgin flights to Brisbane where all on the one ticket we could take the 2 bags each with no extra cost.

The flights with Hawiian where fine, the planes are much better now as the are newer and more comfotable.