We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leeward side of Oahu???

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Leeward side of Oahu???

My husband and I are planning our honeymoon for May and are looking into staying 1 week on Oahu. I was looking into vacation rentals and found some nice condos on the beach in Makaha with great views. We aren't really wanting to stay in Waikiki where it is crowded. Has anyone stayed on the leeward side of Oahu? I also found some rentals on the windward side, but I have read that it rains more there. Most of the rentals didn't seem to have ocean views, although close to beach. Any information is appreciated.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,593 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leeward side of Oahu???

If I was new to Oahu, I would not stay leeward, I would stay windward in an area like Kailua or Kaneohe.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,590 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leeward side of Oahu???

Waikiki is actually on the leeward side of the island!! Makaha isn't a place I generally would send visitors, especially for a honeymoon. If you want to stay on the west side look at Ko Olina or Kapolei. The windward side is wonderful, especially during the summer months. It is greenest part of the island due to the trade showers.

California
Level Contributor
638 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leeward side of Oahu???

I agree, Makaha wouldn't be a place I'd choose either. It's a long drive to get into Waikiki for one thing, and for another.... and most beautiful beaches are on the windward side and the north shore.

I sent you a private message Danielle.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,763 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Leeward side of Oahu???

Aloha,

Maybe check out Oahu's North Shore.

Great beaches and a very cool vibe.

http://www.northshoreoahu.org/

Check it out,

Aloha

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leeward side of Oahu???

My only time visiting the leeward coast well past Honolulu was a few years ago when we went to a beach somewhere in that direction. The inside of the women's restroom was covered with graffiti, we had passed some beach encampments on the way where it appeared homeless people were living, and we felt a little unwelcome and unsafe.

I'm not sure whether that's even close to where you're talking about, but it's an influence on that side of the island that makes it a lot less honeymoon friendly than the windward side and north shore. It's possible you've found a wonderful place. But, personally, I'd stick to the areas known for accommodating tourists.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leeward side of Oahu???

Thank you all for your replies. We have taken it all into consideration. I think we will start looking at the windward side for a place to stay. We are planning on renting a car so that we can explore the island. You all have been very helpful. Any other advice/suggestions for our trip? Another thing that we are looking into is which luau to go to...Paradise Cove or Germaine's? Or is there really even a big difference?

Nor Cal
Level Contributor
141 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leeward side of Oahu???

I'll be staying at Makaha Cabanas for a few nights in early December - If you haven't booked yet I'd be more then happy to tell you how it is when we get back.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leeward side of Oahu???

Eavabug - I would really appreciate it. Thank you. You can message me if you would like. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Washington
Level Contributor
298 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leeward side of Oahu???

I would also be interested in hearing about your stay at the Makaha Cabanas.

Been to Oahu several times but never to that area of the Island ,was thinking about it for our trip next summer.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,775 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Leeward side of Oahu???

amberloo explained one time that there is only Windward Oahu & Leeward Oahu (that which is not Windward).

However, more commonly & also my definition is the Leeward Side is what is indicated on this map, from Eva to Kaena Point. That is the area that is really considered Leeward Oahu by almost everyone.

gohawaii.com/oahu/…leeward-coast

From that link, on the left side, you can click on other areas to see what they are more commonly known as.