We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checked Baggage Fees

Hobart, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Checked Baggage Fees

Hello,

We're flying from San Diego to Honolulu, then Honolulu to LAX, then on the same day, LAX - Melbourne in Australia.

Our itinerary with Hawaiian Airlines lists our international sector, so we wondered if we get two free checked bags?

International guests are allowed two free checked bags, so does the inclusion of our international sector get us our free bags?

Also, can each bag be 32kgs, or are we limited to 23kgs?

Thank you to anyone that can help!

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checked Baggage Fees

Did you book LAX to Melbourne as a single trip? Or did you book each leg separately?

If it was booked through one provider, I *think* that your bags should be free HNL-to-Melbourne. But I'm not sure. Maybe someone else here has experience with a similar domestic-one-way, international-the-other-way multi-leg itinerary?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checked Baggage Fees

Do I understand you? Flying from SDiego to Honolulu, turning around and flying back to LAX ... then flying on to Melbourne ... all on the same day? Are you checking your luggage all the way through? Same ticket? Sorry ... I am lost.

I think that the luggage is included only as part of the same flight with the Hawaiian Airlines dictated lay-over.

Hobart, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Checked Baggage Fees

Thanks BeacheeMe, I hope you're right.

Yes, all booked through an agent, all one itinerary.

Oops. My bad.

We're in Honolulu for 9 days, as part of a 4 month trip, only way to fly home was to go back to LA and complete our return fare, LAX to MEL.

Do we get free bags and is it 32kg or 23kg?

Cheers!

Edited: 14 November 2012, 05:13
Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checked Baggage Fees

I would get a new travel agent! You are flying backwards to go forwards and are adding 12 hours flying time to your trip home ( not counting you lax layover). It would be hundreds of dollars cheaper and way easier to fly home from Honolulu. Very poor advice from a travel agent. They wonder why they are becoming extinct. Please go back to your agent and demand a decent holiday

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Checked Baggage Fees

Aloha,

Is that actually considered one itinerary by the airlines? It's a round trip with a bunch of separate side trips in the interim?

I agree that the return routing is strange. Did the agent explain her logic?

Good luck.

Aloha

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checked Baggage Fees

Phone the airline(s). My reading is that you already had the LAX-Melbourne flight and added the SAN-HNL and HNL-LAX flights. HA doesn't fly to Melbourne. What is your exact itinerary and on what airline(s)? I'd assume you'll have to pay domestic flight baggage fees (pretty small compared with your total trip costs), but you may get around it. When you check in at HNL, at least show your full itinerary and ask for your bags to be checked through to MEL so át least you may avoid having to collect your bags and recheck them at LAX.

Edited: 17 November 2012, 11:44
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checked Baggage Fees

p.s. did you ask your travel agent? You're returning to LAX, on one itinerary, so you can get the Qantas non-stop from LAX-MEL? That worked out cheaper than flying HNL-SYD-MEL? I've seen stranger things. If HNL-LAX-MEL is on one itinerary pruchased together, I'd think you would get international baggage allowances, unless there's a clause about reversing direcitons. If your travel agent can't tell you, get a new agent (but first phone the airline).

Edited: 17 November 2012, 11:48
Hobart, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Checked Baggage Fees

A return ticket MEL-LAX is the same price as a one way ticket, and Hawaiian, despite being a Virgin Australia partner, do not fly to Melbourne.

This was the only way. We're the ones that have to fly it, so stop concerning yourselves with that, and if you please, answer the question that I have asked.

Are we allowed 23 or 32kgs?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checked Baggage Fees

Wow. Pretty snippy and demanding for someone who asked for absolutely free advice from total strangers. I was actually one who gve my own ideas and didn't comment on the flight selection, and still feel you need to ask your travel agent or airline (not clear if you did either), but you seem angry and insisting people answer your question in just the way you demand, and feel they should know the asnwer, so good luck.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Checked Baggage Fees

Is your return--HNL/LAX/MEL booked on one routing or as two separate routines? By that, is there one or two locator codes or confirmation codes? If only one then you should have the larger international luggage allowances, but if on two locator codes, you will hane domestic allowances (and charges) on the HNL/LAX leg. Without examining your specific documents, think you need to check with your TA.