We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Waikiki with the family, what should we do?

Abbotsford, BC
Level Contributor
66 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Waikiki with the family, what should we do?

Wondering what the top rated excursions are in Waikiki? We want to take surfing lessons and also do a snorkling excursion. We are staying at the Hilton Hawaii village in Waikiki. Family of 5 (2 adults, 3 boys ages 16,14,11) We arrive Dec 27 for 1 week. What are the "must do's" in the area? Best place for snorkling??

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Waikiki with the family, what should we do?

My family of 2 adults and 3 boys (18, 16 & 13) spent a week in Waikiki in 2009 and the highlights for us were:

Pearl Harbour, lots of beach time, and the best highlight for all three boys was our self-guided drive around Oahu. The boys loved the North Shore waves and short hikes along the way. We ended the day watching the sunset at Makaha Beach. Was a great day.

We are returning in April and are making snorkelling at Hanuma Bay, surfing lessons, hiking Diamond Head and going to a luau part of our activities.

Have a great time!!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,610 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Waikiki with the family, what should we do?

What else do you want to do? Will you have a car? You should see the other sides of the Island.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Waikiki with the family, what should we do?

The best snorkeling boats leave from the west side of the islands, in Ko Olina or Waianae. The best I have found so far is Hawaii Nautical. For shore snorkeling, due to time of year, you will be limited to mostly Hanauma Bay and the Marine Life Conservation District in Waikiki. Neither of which are the best places on the island to snorkel!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,102 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Waikiki with the family, what should we do?

Snorkling at Hanama bay is fun, safe, and easy, can be crowded so get there EARLY .

Rent a car at least for one or two days, drive up to North Shore and see the big surf beaches, you won't go in, too rough this time of year, but awesome to see. We stopped at some random beach and saw a sea turtle on the sand, just us and about 4 other people, and two volunteers who were guarding it( you are not allowed to touch it).

Polynesion Cultural Center is interesting, it teaches you and the kids about the settling of Hawaii by various oceanic nations, its like a living museum,, my kids liked it.

Climb up Diamond head for views, easy to do for normal healthy people and amazing.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,004 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Waikiki with the family, what should we do?

I would take surfing lessons from Aloha Beach Services down Waikiki Beach near the Moana Hotel.

alohabeachservices.com/Aloha_Beach_Services/…

I would also arrange an outrigger canoe ride from them for the family.

I'd also look into diving with sharks on the North Shore. We used North Shore Shark Adventures. I have to believe that is something your boys would find cool. My three boys did.

http://www.sharktourshawaii.com/

Hiking Diamond Head is fun, but do it as early as you can, like 7AM early and if you can do it on Saturday (which I would) head to the Farmer's Market next to Diamond Head to Kapiolani Community College.

www.lavasurfer.com/info/hikediamondhead.html

…hawaii.edu/object/farmersmarket.html

Spend some time in Downtown/Chinatown and visit Iolani Palace and do a dim sum lunch at a place like Legends Seafood.

http://www.legendseafoodhonolulu.com/

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Waikiki with the family, what should we do?

last year we did a tour with DISCOVER HAWAII TOURS, fab service, saw loads of the island, pearl harbour, ,the beaches, really good day out and very imformative , especially since we were the only brits on tour, ....

Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Waikiki with the family, what should we do?

Surfing lessons I did with Three Friends SUP. Combo stand up paddling and then a surfing lesson. Ask for Ron to teach the surfing. He got this middle aged lady up and surfing in no time! Paddleboarding was great too.

We spent many days hiking. Maunawili Falls trail was fantastic and rewarded with a swimming hole and waterfall at the end. Carry on climbing over the falls beyond where you jump into the water to discover the natural waterslide. (there are a couple of youtube videos out there for the waterslide beyond)

Koko Head was brutal but so rewarding to get to the top. For a less strenous climb Diamond Head.

We also hiked into Manoa Falls (falls were disappointing but again...the trail beyond the falls up into the bamboo forest and banyan trees up to the summit was incredible)

Waimai Falls Botanical Gardens was a nice little hike to start things off. Again you can swim at the end of the paved trail. (a tram is also available at that one)

Take a drive around the island, stopping at the various beaches to play or explore. Giovanni's shrimp truck is a must if you happen to drive past.

We snorkeled at Hanauma Bay and loved it. (my first snorkelling experience)

Have a wonderful trip! (pick up a descriptive map at one of the many ABC stores kicking around, it's very handy)

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Waikiki with the family, what should we do?

For surfing lessons contact Hans Hedeman surf school on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki. This is the best place in Waikiki to learn to surf. (Your hotel is on the "Ewa" end of Waikiki so you'll have to walk east along the beach to get there.)

Further east along the beach is Kaimana beach, a small area of sand between the Kaimana Beach hotel and Natatorium memorial, famous for attracting lots of young local girls in small bikinis. Your boys might enjoy that.

Hanauma bay is great easy snorkeling. There are also more adventurous ocean activities located in the Hawaii Kai area just before the bay: parasailing, jet skiing.

You should also rent a car and drive out to the North Shore. There is great snorkeling and tide pool exploring at Shark's Cove in Pupukea.

Further along the North Shore is famous Sunset Beach. You might luck into big waves. It's nice just to walk along the beach. (Also home to young girls in small bikinis.)

The best information on hiking is found at the Na Ala Hele website - google it - this is the branch of state government responsible for maintaining hiking trails. The site has good information on the location and conditions of all state maintained trails in the state.

Have fun!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
712 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Waikiki with the family, what should we do?

Eat at Dukes and buy a lei at the restaurant, watch the fireworks off Hyatt every Friday

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,610 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Waikiki with the family, what should we do?

<<Eat at Dukes and buy a lei at the restaurant, watch the fireworks off Hyatt every Friday>>

Sparkle meant to say "Hilton Hawaiian Village." Not the Hyatt.