We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do 1st time in Honolulu.

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
What to do 1st time in Honolulu.

My husband (67 with a bum knee) and myself (57 and fairly fit) are going to be in Honolulu for 6 nights ending on Feb. 14th, 2013. We are not sit on the beach people; I have been looking at a long day tour beg. with Pearl Harbour and then up to PCC by bus for a visit to the villages, then luau and home all on the bus. The second outing would be to go over to the Big Island to see the volcanoes on another long all day tour. That would leave us 3 full days open for other outings (Sun, Tue and Wed). Do these plans sound feasible? What should we see the other 3 free days? thanks, jt

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do 1st time in Honolulu.

I agree it would be a long day combining Pearl Harbor and PCC. Starting with Pearl Harbor pickup from hotel around 6:30 AM and drop-off after PCC at around 11 PM.

Volcano tour likely from around 7 AM to 8 PM, so a shorter day.

You have not seen North Shore yet, so you could do a circle island tour one day. This one probably start early in the morning around 7 AM and drop off late afternoon.

How about visiting Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, historic sites around downtown Honolulu, Chinatown for dim sum/lunch, visiting scenic beaches such as Lanikai/Kailua/etc?

Feasible? Yes.

Would I recommend it? No. (And this opinion is from a person, me, who jam pack vacations to see as much as possible.)

Would this feel like a vacation for most people? No. (But I am guessing you would relax when you get back home so it is ok?)

Would you "get" the Hawaiian experience? No. Hawaii is about slowing down and enjoying the warm breeze, tropical ambiance and aloha spirit.

Edited: 19 December 2012, 15:46
Seattle
Level Contributor
41,336 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do 1st time in Honolulu.

I agree with Iolani Palace and Bishop Museum. The Doris Duke ShangriLa estate tour is very interesting (thru Honolulu Academy of the Arts). The zoo. I like to find free music and dance performances around.

suze

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,275 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do 1st time in Honolulu.

So how BUM is that bum knee??

Liverpool
Level Contributor
634 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do 1st time in Honolulu.

My husband and I are similar ages to yourselves. We've been to Honolulu three times from the UK and love it there. I'd recommend a day doing the Hawaii Food Tour. Great reviews on here about it. Good fun and great food and an excellent way to see different parts of Honolulu. It was one of our favourite days.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,275 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do 1st time in Honolulu.

We seem to have lost Georgina ...

6. Re: What to do 1st time in Honolulu.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2014, 10:15