We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid Broadband USB Dongle/Prepaid SIM?

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid Broadband USB Dongle/Prepaid SIM?

Can you purchase prepaid broadband USB dongles in the US? Can you purchase prepaid SIM cards as well? The hotel I'm staying at doesn't provide internet (wifi or otherwise) and despite being on holiday I still have to keep in touch work-wise. Any info appreciated.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid Broadband USB Dongle/Prepaid SIM?

How about finding free wifi spots. Here's a helpful link.

openwifispots.com/…14

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid Broadband USB Dongle/Prepaid SIM?

As suggested you can use the free wifi spots to send and check your email. For price of a cup of coffee or tea you can relax at any Starbucks or Maccas and do a little surfing.

I have a T-mobile sim in my unlocked phone for local calls in Hawaii but calls to Australia are quite expensive. I have now discovered a sim provider which appears to have extremely cheap calling to Australia. You can order a sim on-line and have it delivered from their Melbourne warehouse before you leave home. It looks like a very good option for calling local US numbers and phoning home. I'm getting one of their sims for our next visit in February. Have a look at their website. www.myusmobile.com

Until now we have been using a Telstra calling card but they have just announced that they are withdrawing the service so myusmobile looks like an excellent option.

Although I have an AT&T sim in my iPad it isn't really necessary as free wifi is everywhere in Hawaii.