We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl Harbour

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Pearl Harbour

we are going to be in Honolulu for a couple of weeks and I wondered if there are some days better than others to go do the Pearl Harbour sites? I know cruise ships come in and hopefully they all do this around the same time leaving it clear for the rest of us on other days

thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearl Harbour

I would go on a weekday morning. Also - reserve your time on the Arizona Memorial and other sites.

http://www.recreation.gov/

Honolulu is not flooded with cruise ships like Alaska or the Caribbean.

Edited: 29 December 2012, 18:51
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearl Harbour

thanks for the very speedy reply, i will be booking and we are early risers thank goodness!

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,155 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearl Harbour

Well, if you book / reserve your time, it does not really matter which day you go. You are guaranteed a time and must be there one hour before that time to pick up your ticket.

I suggest ride the bus from Waikiki for $2.50 each. It takes about an hour and you get a chance to see some parts of Honolulu on the way over and back.

You can not carry bags into Pearl Harbor so only carry what you can carry in your hand, or put in your pockets. They will not allow any kind of bags inside and will make you rent a locker to store them.

Lots to see and do in that hour before your reservation, and if you want you can go see the submarine USS Bowfin and the battleship USS Missouri while you are there. There is also another museum as well. All of those things do have a charge to get in if you want to see them while you are there.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearl Harbour

I've also read that you cannot wear sandals. You have to wear closed toe shoes but may wear shorts.

Edited: 30 December 2012, 20:43
Dallas
Level Contributor
22,155 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearl Harbour

msar1076 that is absolutely not true. You can wear sandals, flip flops, slippahs, anything like that.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pearl Harbour

nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

I don't know how that rumor about sandals got started. I wore sandals. Most everyone has on sandals. Sandals are specifically mentioned as being OK on the website.

Flip-flops may not be the safest choice for the Bowfin or the Missouri.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pearl Harbour

I read it in Frommers Hawaii 2013. I just went over to the Pearl Harbor site to see if I could reserve my tickets for June and it did say you can wear sandals but no bathing suits. Geez, you can't believe everything you read. Good to know about the sandals because that's all I wear in the summer.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pearl Harbour

I generally don't use Frommers - at all.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pearl Harbour

I wasn't impressed. Library book, so no big deal.

10. Re: Pearl Harbour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 10:16