We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening music - not a luau

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Evening music - not a luau

Please give some suggestions of casual places to enjoy Hawaiian music in the early evening that would be OK to bring babies.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,143 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening music - not a luau

Please give us your dates again.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,933 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening music - not a luau

I've been at the casual patio bar/cafe outside Duke's restaurant around sunset when there was Hawaiian music with a vocalist in the restaurant. The bar/outside seating at Sheraton hotel I saw a local band. Free shows at the stage at IMP in the Food Court (not sure the status of that, if this still happens or not?). There's also a stage at Royal Hawaiian shopping that sometimes has free local performances.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening music - not a luau

Try the cocktail hour at the Halekulani House Without A Key. A trio of musicians and a hula dancer perform nightly beginning at 6 I believe. The dancer is a former Miss Hawaii. The musicians are terrific classical Hawaiian musicians. Families, including little ones are welcome to sit on the terrace with everyone else.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening music - not a luau

My dates are July 4-14.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,143 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening music - not a luau

In the Friday editions of the Honolulu StarAdvertiser they list where the concerts and musicians play. Also other events that may interest you. It's a great resource, and honestly, I would get a newspaper every day you are on the Islands. Some of the resorts give them to all the guests, but generally I pick one up at an ABC Store.

http://www.royalhawaiiancenter.com/events

Click to the left for live entertainment. Kawika Trask is one of my favorites - but all of these sounds be great. Royal Hawaiian Band! WOW! Includes vocals and hula, BTW. Come early!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening music - not a luau

you can sit in the Shorebird Broiler as long as you aren't sitting at the bar. Lots of local talent. Very enjoyable way to end your evening.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evening music - not a luau

The Royal Hawaiian Center often has free live Hawaiian music at night in its central outdoor area: royalhawaiiancenter.com/info/entertainment I've seen a lot of hula dancing there, too.

Plus, many resorts have outdoor lounges with a live Hawaiian music duo or trio at night. I've enjoyed free Hawaiian music at:

Moana Surfrider's Banyan Tree Courtyard

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani poolside

Outrigger Reef on the Beach poolside

House Without a Key at Halekulani

Hilton Hawaiian Village outdoor lounge area

and quite a few other resorts.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evening music - not a luau

Hau tree can't be beat. Avg age about 50. Killer views. Somewhat pricey(6 of us 3 drinks each 4 apps $160 with a tip). No kids no idiots. Very laid back mature place to relax

Edited: 02 January 2013, 00:22
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,493 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Evening music - not a luau

Aloha,

Next to the Duke Kahanamoku Memorial is the Hula mound at Kuhio Beach

Free hula shows and tourchlighting ceremony starting at 6:30 pm

Tues,, Thurs., Sat and Sun.

Across the street from the Hyatt, which with the City and County puts on this great show

Aloha

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Evening music - not a luau

<<No kids no idiots. Very laid back mature place to relax>>

... and with that, Hau Tree has landed on my "must visit" list for next time.

: )