We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Air Bumped from Flight

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
163 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Air Bumped from Flight

Has anyone ever said yes when Hawaiian Air asks for volunteers to give up their spot on overbooked flights? This has ALWAYS happened to me, on the four flights I've taken between San Deigo and Honolulu. Because of fortunate timing, I can actually say yes this time.

What kind of benefits are offerred in this case? Does anyone have any helpful hints or information?

Thanks for your insight.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Air Bumped from Flight

I've never been on a flight with Hawaiian where they ask for people to give up their seats. On United and American, I've given up plenty of seats. They used to compensate you with either miles, cash, or a free flight. I havent flown them for several years though.

Hawaiian has the third lowest number of overbookings in the industry. Maybe the San Diego to HNL market is different. In the past few years and maybe 15 flights between LAX and HNL, I've wondered if they would ask for people to give up their seats but it's never happened.......

Chandler, AZ
Level Contributor
115 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Air Bumped from Flight

Any word on PHX to Honolulu? I wouldn't mind getting bumped if I could get another flight out of the deal!! I leave in 16 days!! WOOHOO!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Air Bumped from Flight

Of all the flights on HA I've been on, only once have I seen them ask for volunteers. That was out of SJC this past Feb. I seriously considered it since I was going home vs anxiously awaiting a vacation like the others there--but didn't take it since there is only one flight SJC HNL a day so I'd have to get a hotel and hang out until the next morning--probably w/o my luggage.

I believe their offer was to put you on the next scheduled flight out (their's, not someone elses) and a voucher towards future flight. I'm not sure of the amt, I think it may have been 2 or 300 dollars tho.

You could try calling HA and asking them what a standard offer entails.

Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Air Bumped from Flight

Not on Hawaiian flights - But I do walk up to the gate counter when I check in and volunteer even before a list is created. I have a house being paid for in Hawaii, so another ticket is not worth the missed time. Any other flight and I always volunteer. If your whole party volunteers, and they only take part of you, your vacation is messed up. I have been bumped off of three flights in a row, which puts you on a serious time crunch with a hand full of free tickets. Once you're off the ticket that you paid for and on the volunteer list, you're in for a ride of their choice. If you do get bumped and you get your voucher in your hand, ask for a meal ticket if the next flight is a few hours out. A free steak dinner makes the time more bearable.

Now for the ticket - It usually has lots of restrictions, like blackout dates, non-transferable name, advance reservations (three weeks or more) and continental US travel only. Plus an expiration date.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Air Bumped from Flight

On a recent trip we were on in february hawaiian needed 4 seats, the offer was $300 and a night at the ala moana hotel. The acutally had a hard time getting people, several people had connecting flights that they did not want to play with.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Air Bumped from Flight

Hi. You have to ask what the offer is. I have never been on this particular flight, but have been offered 1st class tickets back to JFK from MCO as an incentive. I have also been offered roundtrip tickets to anywhere within the continental USA serviced by Delta (had to use within a 6 month time frame) once when a flight to ORD was overbooked. I jumped at that one!

BoeingDad is quite right about going right up to the counter and getting 1st on the list but only if you get an offer you know you can't refuse. In my experience, the offer will improve if noone accepts the 1st offer. The market to Hawaii from San Diego is probably much different, however, since most of the book will be laid back southern Ca types and not the anxious, loud, and intolerant tribes of the East!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Air Bumped from Flight

The Contract of Carriage defines the rules for voluntary denied boarding (and also for involuntary). It's fairly vague for volunteers and leaves it wide open to whatever the airline wants to offer. It will never be greater than what the involunteered pax get though.

Volunteer: "The carrier will request passengers who are willing to do so, to voluntarily relinquish their confirmed reserved space in exchange for compensation in an amount determined by the carrier."

Using the credit they give you (there's no such thing as a "free ticket", they will give you a voucher to use for a future flight, up to $400) will have restrictions and require you to go to the airport to use and also pay the airport ticketing fee of $15 (might be $10-20, I know it's $15 on United) and probabaly only good on Hawaiian Air unless you can codeshare.

I was flying with my parents once and they were asking for volunteers to take the next flight out. We could take it and make our connection just fine so we volunteered. They said wait. It came down to the supervisor deciding to bump all three of us for the 2 people that really needed to get on the plane. He said sure so we got $200 vouchers each. I never used mine but my parents did and still had to pay about $130 for the flights they took using the vouchers.

If you can stand the delay, I'd say take the offer. Even if you never use the vouchers, you'll provide someone else with the flight they want. If you do use the vouchers, you'll save some money too.

www.hawaiianairlines.com/flightinfo/coc/

hawaiianairlines.com/flightinfo/…

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Air Bumped from Flight

I have never been bumped from a Hawaiian Airlines flight but we were delayed by 6 hours and they gave us discount vouchers with $200 credit. My boyfriend and I used them 6 months later for our multiple island trip of Maui and the Big Island. The quoted price was over $600 but with the discount, it came to just over $400 each. Good deal!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian Air Bumped from Flight

Oh... wanted to add with the voucher, we had to pay the price of the ticket and it can be done on-line, then mail in the confirmation and the voucher, then they credited my credit card the $400 difference; however, I didn't have any issues with them or paid any extra fees.