We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SPG hotel in Waikiki for honeymoon

New York, NY
Level Contributor
85 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
SPG hotel in Waikiki for honeymoon

My fiancé and I going to Hawaii for my honeymoon in Sept. we have a ton of spg points and hoped to use them for our two weeks. I was wondering how much better the Royal Hawaiian or the Mona Surf Rider was than the Westin or Sheraton. Our plan is to only stay 2/3 days to see pearl harbor and then spend 5 nights at Westin in Maui and then 6 nights at St Regis in Kauai. While in Waikiki we figured we could save some points while staying in a nice place since we wouldn't be there much as we plan to explore

Also if anyone has an opinion on the Westin vs the Sheraton in Maui I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,587 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SPG hotel in Waikiki for honeymoon

The Moana Surfrider in Waikiki is the Westin. The Sheraton is like a hotel in Las Vegas.

I suggest the Royal Hawaiian as first pick, and then the Moana as a second pick but only in one of the Tower Rooms, not the Banyan wing and not the Diamond Wing.

They are very close to each other with only the Outrigger Waikiki between them, and it sits right on the best part of Waikiki Beach.

In Maui, I would have to say the Sheraton over the Westin. The Westin looks like a kids water park to me.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SPG hotel in Waikiki for honeymoon

The Royal Hawaiian would be tip-top #1.

Second would be the Moana Surfrider which was rebranded as a Westin about 6 years ago or so. BUT - you will want a TOWER room at the Moana Surfrider.

The Sheraton Waikiki would be #3 -- and you don't want the Princess Kaiulani.

On Maui - you want the Sheraton Maui. You do not want the Westin. You do not want the Westin.

I would take 5 nights at the St Regis on Kauai; 5 at the Sheraton on Maui and the balance of nights on Oahu. Oahu is the #1 destination Island. A ton to see and do!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SPG hotel in Waikiki for honeymoon

On Maui I would recommend the Westin-more luxurious, five pools, one kiddy pool, easy access to the beach, close to Whalers' Village, and many good restaurants.

That is our favorite destination on Maui, go there annually, have been there a dozen times and will, be there in less than 2 weeks.

On Waikiki I agree with BLBL, the Royal Hawaiian followed by the Moana Surfrider.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 14:00
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,151 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SPG hotel in Waikiki for honeymoon

If by "two weeks" you mean 13-14 nights, I would do two islands. Do Oahu and Maui or Oahu and Kauai, not all three.

On Oahu I'd stay at the Royal Hawaiian and I'd spend 6 nights there at least.

On Maui, I am not a fan of the Westin at all and like the Sheraton much better.

On Kauai, I like the St Regis in small doses. Two or three nights max. Don't take this the wrong way (with you being from NY), but it feels like a NY hotel in Hawaii built for NY'ers who want to feel they never left NY. It is too cold, non-Hawaiian for me. It improved in its last rehab, but still isn't all the way there yet.

On the other hand, I really like the Sheraton Poipu. It is on a great beach, walkable to a lot of nice shops and restaurants and is a really nice hotel. At the St Regis, there is no place else to go to for dinner (walkable) other than the hotel.

Here is the contrast between the two hotels.

http://goo.gl/maps/hVjle

http://goo.gl/maps/kMNJL

So If I were doing an Oahu/Kauai split I'd do Oahu 6 nights, St Regis 2 nights, Poipu 6 nights.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 16:10
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SPG hotel in Waikiki for honeymoon

the Sheraton Waikiki has a strange set up, no bureau to put your clothes. Just a couple of small shelves. The other thing I thought was strange was the washroom. It has a shuttered window that opens up into the hotel room. huh? It is right at "potty" level too. Now I know some people don't want to miss a thing, but really???

6. Re: SPG hotel in Waikiki for honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 05:19