We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Honolulu , the last 2 weeks of August

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
visiting Honolulu , the last 2 weeks of August

My wife and I spend our honeymoon there but that was 17 years ago. We want to take our daughter and her friend there. I would imagine much has changed.

First, from the get-go what airlines have the most bang for buck. Is there any advantages going Hawawian airlines over let say, Delta.

Also, taking my daughter's best friend w/us is there any documents we would need for her besides the logical paper saying she is under our care.

My father-in-law is trying to get us a time share condo, however, is only for 5 days and we want to stay 10 days so we still have to get a hotel. If anyone has any ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,634 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Honolulu , the last 2 weeks of August

I've never noticed much difference on any airline.

You can compare hotels on:

www.expedia.com

www.hawaii.com

www.bookit.com

www.hawaii-hotels.com Scroll to the bottom & where it says VISIT, click on Oahu hotels or Oahu condos

Resortquest Waikiki Sunset & Resortquest Waikiki Banyon are two decent condos on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki.

For alternative lodging:

www.vrbo.com

This link has a lot of budget info including lodging:

budgettravelonline.com/bt-dyn/…index.html

This link is a map of most Waikiki Hotels & condos. The map is a few years old & some of the names have changed.

www.waikiki.us/waikikimap.html…

southern cal
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Honolulu , the last 2 weeks of August

Just a suggestion...check into package deals with flights and rooms together. We have a timeshare and I always use that + a package deal. To me the flights seem to be cheaper that way. This year I booked our trip at http://www.hawaiivisitorcenter.com/.

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Honolulu , the last 2 weeks of August

I thought you were going to Puerto Rico? I like the bang for buck. Who is buck?

San Juan Forum

Want to visit Puerto Rico , the last 2 weeks in August

Posted on: 1:55 pm, March 19, 2006

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Honolulu , the last 2 weeks of August

Yea, we originally wanted to go to Puerto Rico and we were going to meet our family there but they having some serious personal problems.

My wife decided to avoid any uncomfortable situations and family politics, so, we are better off just going to Hawaii.

But I tell you I am feeling sticker shock, the lowest we have gotten as quote is close to $5000. I dont know if its because of the oil prices or what. A month ago , it seems I was getting closer to $3,000 and it went up quite a bit. I dont know, if I should wait and see if things get better or change plans again

My father in law is trying to get a week of time shares in Hawaii which will save us some serious money but he says we are picking the tourist peak time , the last 2 weeks of August.

ANy suggestions?

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Honolulu , the last 2 weeks of August

stingray - When I look at great deals, they all come from LA. Two adults and two children right?

Just a quick look and I get 5 nights at the Ohana East, RT air from LA for $739.00 each. The flights leave on Aug 15 and 17th. Adding nights to a package is easy, and you probably get a nice discount. You would still need to leave on the same day as the package discount. I know its the Ohana, but you only sleep there.

www.applevacations.com/special.do…

I tried a few others, but the hotel wasn't working out. You better book ASAP. I'll try some more places tomorrow. Jump on that deal above if you can extend the time to 10 days. You might have to call.

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting Honolulu , the last 2 weeks of August

I just read some reviews on the Ohana East in TA. Seems pretty good.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting Honolulu , the last 2 weeks of August

My wife works for the goverment and she is stuck with the dates, they have request their vacation in Jan. We have to leave on the 19 th of August.

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting Honolulu , the last 2 weeks of August

That explains the high cost. Tuesday through Thursday are the bargain days.

Maybe you should leave early with three, and your wife can go over on a ticket only on the 19th? The total cost should be the same. The hotel will not care either way unless you make a big deal by announcing it in the lobby, or your wife demands something while not being a booked guest.

I have a family of five, and no hotel online software program in the world lets you fit 5 into a single room. Even Disneyland tells us to call instead of booking online. We aways have to book four online and show up with five. We're used to it by now. The funny part is that most hotels will fit 5 people in without any issues at all. Just not online. So I'm telling you that its ok to have four in a three room. The three person price is the same for four people.

You should book the three tickets, if they are still there this morning, and book a Saturday departure for your wife. Thursday is a waste with luggage, transfers and the hotel, so you're only being there for one day without her. Go to the beach on Friday and don't do anything like a tour. She could probably red eye in on Friday night to keep the cost down and increase the Saturday time.

BoeingDad

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting Honolulu , the last 2 weeks of August

We flew Hawaiian last week they are still serving meals choice of three everybody else I believe is charging extra also if you want to watch their in flight movie it's $5 whether you use their headphones or your own. They do have digiplayers which are portable dvd players with a choice of three or four movies.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting Honolulu , the last 2 weeks of August

My wife says screw budget, so we are leaning toward Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach .Price for family 4,( $4800 inc. flight, transfers), is that good, fair or bad. We got the quote from Hawaii visitor center. It was recommended in one of the above commentary, Is it overpriced?

We are getting a city view room, he says an ocean view would cost me so much more.

My wife loves swiming in the pool, how is the pool there?, and I read there is construction going on, is that true? w

We were budgeting $4,000 and w/o stepping foot there, we are over by 800 dollars.

Anoter option AAA gave us was, the Resost Quest w/ocean view and kids eat free and free breakfast and that was the same price but it included insurance which the above quote didnt. Hawaii visitor uses a third party insurance and they will charge me 90 dollars.

Any comments, at least I am getting closer to making a decision.