We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Waikiki Shores from HON, then a rental later

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
300 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Waikiki Shores from HON, then a rental later

We are getting very excited for our upcoming Hawaii trip. We have rented a condo through VRBO and I know I can ask the owner, but the info here is so objective and valuable. What is the best and fastest way to get to Waikiki Shores from the airport?

Also, we would like to rent a car later in the week for 2 days. Do I need to book this in advance or can I wait until we get there? Where is the closest rental agency by Waikiki Shores? Or, will most companies deliver the car to us?

Thanks in advance!

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Waikiki Shores from HON, then a rental later

From airport, Go East on Nimitz Hwy, hwy 92 exit., turns into Ala Moana Blvd. Keep East, Right on Kalakaua (main drag) Stay in right hand lane, pass Saratoga Street, go right on Kalia . Address is 2161 Kalia (right next to Outrigger Reef hotel) There will be a steep driveway. Parking under the condos is limited. Book it now if you plan on a rental. Maybe the VRBO owner has a private space for you. Best to check with him/her.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Waikiki Shores from HON, then a rental later

From your question, looks like you are wondering about transportation from HNL airport--maybe? There are numerous shuttles or just get a cab right outside baggage claim.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,413 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Waikiki Shores from HON, then a rental later

We used Hawaii23 for our transport - they are great and it is private, but cheaper than a taxi.

http://www.hawaii23.com/

We booked a car prior to going - picked it up in Waikiki rather than at the airport - we only did a one day, but 2 day would be easy enough. Reserve now for the best rates:

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Have fun! :)

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,420 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Waikiki Shores from HON, then a rental later

Hawaii23 or cab to get to condo. Definitely reserve your car now to lock in good rates. Shop around for rates and how far from your condo. Might be worth walking a bit. You didn't say when you are going. I was there over Xmas and was lucky to even get a car for 3 days at the last min (one month before). The agent said folks booked one yr ahead and their computer overbooked and they had to scramble! I usually shop on Hotwire for car rentals when I travel but haven't had luck for HI the last few trips.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 23:21
Currituck, North...
Level Contributor
376 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Waikiki Shores from HON, then a rental later

We rented our car for 3 days from discount hawaii car rental for our trip 4/1/13 & we pick up our car in Waikiki. Staying at

Waikiki Shores.

Still waiting for an email from Hawaii23 for airport transportation.

Betty

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Waikiki Shores from HON, then a rental later

There is a line of cabs right outside the luggage area. By far the quickest and easiest way. No hassle with reservations. The cabs come in all sizes, and there is an attendant to assist you.

By all means you need to book your rental car in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Waikiki Shores from HON, then a rental later

Hi Jayne2004 we are looking at booking Waikiki Shore through VRBO is this the first time you have booked through VRBO? We have been wondering whether to book through the owner or Outrigger?

Thanks also for the info on taxi's, car hire etc as this was also some of the questions I was wanting to ask.

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
300 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Waikiki Shores from HON, then a rental later

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. I have just put in an inquiry to Discount Hawaii. We have already reserved a car for the Kauai part of our trip through them, but wasn't sure we would rent a car in Oahu. Reading this forum convinced us we should.

We will be in Oahu on 4/10/13 for 5 nights then off the Kauai for 6 nights. Betty O, will you still be there?

Tersil, we have booked many condos/villas through VRBO and have always been pleased. We booked the studio at Waikiki Shores through VRBO. The owner, Nino, has been prompt and helpful with our questions. The link is:

http://vrbo.com/50536

Still trying to decide whether to take a taxi or book Hawaii23 from the airport. Does anyone know the cost of a taxi to Waikiki Shores? Thanks again for all your help!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,420 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Waikiki Shores from HON, then a rental later

Depending on traffic, cab fare is probably going to be $30-40.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to Waikiki Shores from HON, then a rental later

Thanks Jayne2004 for the VRBO and car hire information I'm still looking into how to pay the owner either credit card or paypal, I know I should never pay via bank transfer, what is the safest way to pay and did you take out extra insurance just in case anything happened with your payment and accommodation.