We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Bus - Airport to Waikiki Hotels

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
The Bus - Airport to Waikiki Hotels

This one I have been looking at which is a regular City Bus. Not

the private companies., What about luggage. Would this be a problem

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,905 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Bus - Airport to Waikiki Hotels

Yes, it would be a problem. You are not allowed to bring luggage (or anything else) on the bus that wouldn't fit on your lap or under your seat. Even a large duffel or backpack would be a problem. The buses are often crowded ... and are not designed for folks coming in from the airport.

http://thebus.org/howtoride/RulesReg.asp?l=

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Bus - Airport to Waikiki Hotels

I took the bus to a location close to the airport, it cost $2.50 and it took about an hour maybe a tad longer. It was a direct from waikiki with no transfers it was #19 as I recall and made stops on Kuhio. They make a lot of stops and do not take the most direct route. But there were people doing it with luggage. It is all what you want to do.

A taxi cost me $42 with tip for the airport to the hotel. I think shuttles are more like $10/person but also make a lot of stops.

A limo is around $60 lus tip but will carry 6 people.

You have plenty of options.

On one hand it is nice to get there fast, but on the other hand laugh at the people that want to make it a race. You are in Hawaii- relax and take your time.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Bus - Airport to Waikiki Hotels

We used this company to get to our hotel in Waikiki - only $23 for up to 3 people - private transport. :)

http://www.hawaii23.com/

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,756 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Bus - Airport to Waikiki Hotels

I agree with coalminer. We have used Hawai23 for our last 4 or 5 trips and it is much more convenient that the city bus. They pick you up on time and take you directly to your hotel for the fixed price plus tip.

Great service and friendly people.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
899 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Bus - Airport to Waikiki Hotels

Go with Hawaii23 or another service - or simply get a taxi. You cannot take luggage on The Bus and after a long flight do you really want to travel on the bus when you can go straight out of the airport, into your taxi/transport and get a great intro from the driver who points out all the sights etc.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,905 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Bus - Airport to Waikiki Hotels

There is a shuttle company that picks up and the airport and takes you to Waikiki. No reservations, no hassle - SpeediShuttle. You can book them in advance if you want. Round trips will save you a little.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Bus - Airport to Waikiki Hotels

Why would you recommend Speedishuttle in preference to a private service like Hawaii23? With Speedishuttle you would have to wait at the airport while it waits for other passengers then go from hotel to hotel when all you want to go direct to your own hotel.

Furthermore Speedishuttle will cost you more than Hawaii23.

Makes no sense to me. I have used Hawaii23 many times and found them to be reliable and economical. Always with a friendly and courteous driver.

BTW they do always reply to emails in a timely manner and have them booked for our next visit in three weeks time.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The Bus - Airport to Waikiki Hotels

How much tip for 4 passengers???

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Bus - Airport to Waikiki Hotels

Yes, from the airport (and until the rail system is built) I would recommend either a taxi or Airport transfer shuttle. I live here and have only once taken the bus to the airport once for an inter island trip…took far too long and I had to restrict my luggage (this was back when HA didnʻt charge for luggage!). Anywhere else on the island by TheBus is great, just not the airport. :(

Traffic in Honolulu is horrible and I would never recommend taking a cab anytime during rush hour - which sadly lasts nearly the entire day. Take the shuttle if you arrive/leave during the day; cab only at night.

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Bus - Airport to Waikiki Hotels

Your suggestion is great. Does the Grayline Bus still operate outside

the terminal for a nominal fee. We have been taking that for many years, but I can't find any information either by Grayline or other means.

As you are a resident of Honolulu, I thought you might know.