We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

molokai

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
molokai

Am thinking of taking a one day helicopter to molokai (kaulapapa) with tour. Which would you recommend . Which has the best rates.

thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: molokai

We just took a short flight Jan. 2 on Mokulele (was fine!) from Maui to Molokai for the day, rented a car and drove around. Easy to do on your own, few roads. Check out Island Air web site; they also have flights from HNL to Molokai MKK. I did this in 2008 and it was quite fun. Reserve a car through discount hawaii car rentals.

Edited: 18 January 2013, 01:16
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: molokai

Thanks for the advice. I want to take the tour but the flights are only on Tues, Wednes and Sat. and Tues is the 24th Dec and Wed is the 25th- Sat we're gone. I don't know if the tour will operate on the 24th.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: molokai

We've visited Molokai numerous times and taken three heli tours from Maui to Molokai using Blue Hawaiian twice and Alex Air (doors off) on the other..

Based on what we've experienced, you won't go far enough east to enjoy a good view of Kalaupapa, but if you have info to the contrary, I'd really appreciate it.

I have two Maui-Molokai heli videos of my own, but the following is by far, the best I've ever collected among numerous YouTube videos. However, per the comment section of the video, the passengers were treated to very special sights due to bad weather on their scheduled route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-ak_zLNrY

I am a card carrying Blue Hawaiian Helicopter fan: however, base on my two flights (and the experiences of several friends), the route map on this link accurately depicts the normal route (no special weather considerations) accurately...approximately 5 miles short of reaching Kalaupapa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-ak_zLNrY

Air Maui does offer a longer flight, that appears quite similar to that of the linked video. Before reserving, I suggest you get specific promise of the route. The reason I mention this is that every other Maui based Heli company i interviewed in person two years ago said they did not approach Kalaupapa out of respect for the residents.

HOWEVER, I do see that Sunshine Helicopters has "recently" increased the length of their Molokai tour and now promotes Kalaupapa on their itinerary. If true, and in the budget, imo the absolutely #1 luxury flights in all of Hawaii are with Sunshine using their WhisperStar (same Heli as Blue Hawaiian's EcoStar) with First Class (guaranteed front row) seating:

sunshinehelicopters.com/maui/tours/maui.html

Lastly, if you haven't fallen asleep, and acknowledging that I know nothing about it, nor know anyone who does/recall discussion here on TA, but here is a link to a Molokai based company that offers small plane tours that might be of interest:

http://www.molokaiairtour.com/index.php

If you talk with Molokai Air Tours, or take the ride PLEASE post an evaluation.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: molokai

Just noticed you posted this on TA-Honolulu; I'm linking to Molokai where more specific help may be available.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29221-i1825-k6053…

Edited: 18 January 2013, 13:29
5. Re: molokai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 06:16