We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes Shopping for Larger Women

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Clothes Shopping for Larger Women

Will be traveling to Honolulu in May and wondering what the shopping is like for larger sized women and what the prices and styles of clothing are like (comparitive to Australian)? Just trying to determine whether I should take clothes or empty suitcases.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes Shopping for Larger Women

Macy's. Good 'ole Macy's. Nordstrom ... Sears ... the department store in the Ala Moana (shopping) Center.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,767 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothes Shopping for Larger Women

I don't know.

But read the Top Question on the right side of the page. Shopping for Aussies. There are a couple of forum threads.

Honolulu is a fairly large city & you should be able to find anything there.

fla
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes Shopping for Larger Women

Lots of good responses to a similar question asked recently on the Fatshionista community: fatshionista.livejournal.com/7571563.html

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes Shopping for Larger Women

Ross dress for Less has everything you need.

Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes Shopping for Larger Women

Don't forget that sizing is different in the USA and what are considered plus sizes in Aust are often in the regular clothing sections of US stores.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 03:56
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothes Shopping for Larger Women

Teltaz - it depends on what kind of "larger" you mean.

I can speak to shopping for anywhere between size 14-22 as those are the sizes ladies in my family have been at during various trips to Hawaii.

Macys have a fantastic range of clothing which will fit those sizes. www1.macys.com/shop/plus-size-clothing… - macys works in weird ways, you take your stuff to the counter and find out you are going to pay less for it than you expected - they usually have % off and you get an extra 10% on top of that if you show your passport and get the savings passport.

I remember the first time I shopped there, and this pair of shorts went from $20 to $6 with the sales clerk scanning more and more discount barcodes. And I said, are you sure you don't just want to pay me to take them? :)

Most of the tops I bought there I spent $20 or less, most of the pants I paid $15 or less. And nobody else here is wearing the same outfits, which I love.

For my last trip, I took hand luggage only which weighed 7kg. I returned home with 80kg. :) As did my mother. I bought all the clothes I have been wearing for the past year and 3 months - shoes, tops, pants, underwear, everything. I have rarely been to a shop since I returned as I do not like the feeling of paying excessive amounts for clothes here.

I always like to give a couple of examples to illustrate the point.

I found NYDJ jeans at Ross Dress For Less for $34.99. Those same jeans retail here for $129.

I bought something like 9 pairs of shoes ranging from $29.99 (99 here) to $55 (160 here)

You can get designer stuff for amazingly cheap. I got a pair of Michael Kors cargo pants for $13 from the discount section of Macys. I got a pair of Calvin Klein cargo pants for $16.

There is a lot of Hawaii style wears which are one size fits most. I bought a lot of those for wearing around the house in summer.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothes Shopping for Larger Women

Unfortunately no Lane Bryant but Old Navy and Sears have a good selection of plus sized. Keep an eye out for Levis in Sears...I got mine for $15USD.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothes Shopping for Larger Women

The wife was a larger-sized lady (love those curves) and loved shopping at Macy's Ala Moana and Ross (near Walmart). Can still remember our first trip to Hawaii when I was waiting in the husband creche' (Ala Moana Maitai Bar) and she came skipping out of Macys with a huge grin on the face peeking over a huge load of shopping bags, singing "Tommy Hilfinger jeans for $15! I LOVE Hawaii". With the opposing seasons, sales on end-of-season clothing benefits Aussies. Pack light to Hawaii, or pack clothes you'll be content to sacrifice to the bins over there.

Hey, what am I doing? It must be the rum talking. The wife is at Ukelele practice so I'm grandog sitting and having a Maitai Moment, hic!

9. Re: Clothes Shopping for Larger Women

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 05:16